American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I decided not to FWH this batch. I love the recipe, and was going to mash a little higher for experimentation, but too many differences and I won't be able to tell what's what.

This is a great beer, but I used Notty, and I'm kind of wishing I had not though.

I'm still learning yeast profiles, and I discovered I do not like Notty. It leaves a very scottish ale taste. Personally, I would love to taste this recipe with 1272.

This is a great beer, but I used Notty, and I'm kind of wishing I had not though.

I'm still learning yeast profiles, and I discovered I do not like Notty. It leaves a very scottish ale taste. Personally, I would love to taste this recipe with 1272.

1272 is my favorite yeast for IPAs. I don't even use 1056 unless I'm making a cream ale. I've never used Notty though.

OK sorry for the newb question, but still learning all the abbreviations on the site. What us FWH?
Thanks
I just brewed the original recipe this past weekend with new equipment. Yeast was WLP 051. OG was 1.052. Fermentation is going well but I don't have a way of controlling my fermentation temp so my carboy has been reading around 74!!!
I have no idea what I'm going to end up with??? Lol it was fun though!!!! Maybe next time
My trials and tribulations were:
Strike temp was way to low 140 then went as High as 158 took way too long to get back down to 150!! My 60 hop was some cascade and perle I had. The finished with centennial. Yeast was WHl

FWH = First Wort Hop, you add the hops as the wort enters the kettle instead of starting the time when it starts to boil.

On my way to the LHBS in a few. Gonna brew this up Sunday but make it black. Guess I'll call it Black Hearted Ale.

I'm drinking my hydro sample and getting ready to dry hop this for a week. Amazing. Best flat green beer sample I've ever tasted.

I bottled a batch today that I fermented with washed WLP810. It was also the best sample of a green beer I've ever had. I will be comparing this latest batch with one I brewed back in July with S-05.

Is the recipe on the original post the most up-to-date? I this brew from Bell's. I'm gathering all-grain recipes to decide which is I'm going to try my first all grain batch with.

Thanks for the recipe! I made this a few months ago and only have a six pack left, so I decided I better make some more. So good. I've had about 6 people blind test this beer against a Bell's Two-Hearted and every single person preferred mine to the original. Yup, pretty proud of that. :rockin:

I brewed another batch last weekend using a yeast starter I made from the bottomx of 4 Bell's Two-Hearted Ale's I picked up at a local liquor store. Had never tried to culture yeast before, but both beer stores in town were badly depleted in their yeast inventory, so I didn't really have a choice.
So, I tried to culture the day before, and wasn't quite sure how that was going to work.

It took about a half a day longer than the other beers we made that day to start krausening, but by golly it took off eventually and is going strong!
Making beer is fun ain't it?

*we brewed on 9-25-11 - 5 gallons Bell's Two-Hearted Clone, 5 gallons Belgian Golden Strong Ale, 10 gallons Scotch Heavy Ale, 5 gallons Rye Ale

So I semi-botched it Thursday night - I totally forgot to adjust my volume into fermentor in beersmith. I usually set my batch size to 6 gallons instead of 5 or 5.5 (depends on style and if I'm using whole hops in muslin bags or pellets), but I accidentally left it at 5. So I ended up using too little grain. My OG came in at 1048 instead of the 1056 I was hoping for.

I ended up hopping according to the original recipe so this will probably end up a little more bitter and hoppier than expected. Not a bad thing for an IPA necessarily, so I'm not too worried.

So I semi-botched it Thursday night - I totally forgot to adjust my volume into fermentor in beersmith. I usually set my batch size to 6 gallons instead of 5 or 5.5 (depends on style and if I'm using whole hops in muslin bags or pellets), but I accidentally left it at 5. So I ended up using too little grain. My OG came in at 1048 instead of the 1056 I was hoping for.

I ended up hopping according to the original recipe so this will probably end up a little more bitter and hoppier than expected. Not a bad thing for an IPA necessarily, so I'm not too worried.

You can easily change the default setting so that doesn't happen again. Under the Tools drop down, click on Options and you will see all your defaults.

What a great day. My sister just dropped off two 6rs of THA in time to watch the titans beat up on Cleveland!!

Thanks for the recipe! I made this a few months ago and only have a six pack left, so I decided I better make some more. So good. I've had about 6 people blind test this beer against a Bell's Two-Hearted and every single person preferred mine to the original. Yup, pretty proud of that. :rockin:

I brewed another batch last weekend using a yeast starter I made from the bottomx of 4 Bell's Two-Hearted Ale's I picked up at a local liquor store. Had never tried to culture yeast before, but both beer stores in town were badly depleted in their yeast inventory, so I didn't really have a choice.
So, I tried to culture the day before, and wasn't quite sure how that was going to work.

It took about a half a day longer than the other beers we made that day to start krausening, but by golly it took off eventually and is going strong!
Making beer is fun ain't it?

*we brewed on 9-25-11 - 5 gallons Bell's Two-Hearted Clone, 5 gallons Belgian Golden Strong Ale, 10 gallons Scotch Heavy Ale, 5 gallons Rye Ale

I muffed my first one. Too much specialty grains. It is a good hearty beer It tasted good after two day in the bottle. Heck, the sample I took at bottling was good green, right there.

I missed my hops addition too. I put in 1/2 the amount. I'm pretty excited to try it correctly.

I had Two Hearted Three night in a row (just a little, had to work in the morning). I think my body is a tad heavier, but not bad.

Revvy said:
Oh my god!!!!!!! I just cracked my first bottle if this amazing elixir. It is incredible!!!!!!!

Rev, which of these recipes did you follow?

It's the Eschatz/Dubbeldatch version

LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
10 0 American Two-row
2 0 Vienna Malt
0 8 CaraPils) Malt
0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L

60mins 1.75 Centennial
15 mins 1.0 Centennial
5 mins 1.0 Centennial
1 min 1.0 Centennial

Revvy said:
It's the Eschatz/Dubbeldatch version

10 0 American Two-row
2 0 Vienna Malt
0 8 CaraPils) Malt

60mins 1.75 Centennial
15 mins 1.0 Centennial
5 mins 1.0 Centennial
1 min 1.0 Centennial

How much dry hopping?

How much dry hopping?

Ounce and a quarter.

I don't normally dry hope this way, but instead of just dumping the pellets in I bought a hopsack, and added some glass marbles to it and hopped in primary. It seems that I made the sack too tight, and the hops never really seemed to dissolve, and despite the weight of the marbles it didn't sink. I don't think I was too successful in the DH department.

I have a partial mash version of this chugging away in the fermenter now. Used some harvested Bell's yeast.

the wait begins...................

Why did you link the very thread we're posting in?

Inception-leo-simple8-8-10.jpg

We need to go deeper...

Why did you link the very thread we're posting in?

I don't always make sense.

Hey, it took me quite a while to screw that up - that bad!

I searched "Eschatz/Dubbeldatch" and went through a few pages of results only to land back at this thread.

Then!.... I didn't examine the first recipe, because it apparently doesn't contain the same info as what you posted imediately above. (I know I'm getting more confused.)

The first page has grain bill:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

The above quoted text has:

10 0 American Two-row
2 0 Vienna Malt
0 8 CaraPils) Malt

...and there's no chance I was sampling home brew.

:D

Did you go with Notty?

Cali ale yeast I from wyeast.

I don't always make sense.

Hey, it took me quite a while to screw that up - that bad!

I searched "Eschatz/Dubbeldatch" and went through a few pages of results only to land back at this thread.

Then!.... I didn't examine the first recipe, because it apparently doesn't contain the same info as what you posted imediately above. (I know I'm getting more confused.)

The first page has grain bill:

The above quoted text has:

...and there's no chance I was sampling home brew.

:D

The Dubbledach modification of Eschatz's recipe is later in this thread.....

Brewing this now - partial mash.

4lbs 2 row
2lbs Vienna
1/2 carapils
1/2 c15
3lbs Briess DME

Probably a little higher OG but my pm's dont seem to ever seem to attenuate fully so should be good. No pellet hops available so going with whole hops. Only second time with them and they are kind of a hassle. Mid-boil now..

Nice! My PM batch is starting week three in primary. Smells & tastes amazing! Color is a touch lighter than the original, probably because I did most of the LME at flameout and didn't get caramelization. Gonna have a hard time waiting this week plus carb/conditioning time, but I think it'll be worth it :)

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

I'm ovedr in the upper part of the mit for a couple nights. I went to Maier's [SP]. I wanted to get a sixer of Two Hearted. There wasn't any. I have a sixer of Bell's Porter.

It's heavy, smooth, and on the sweet side. There is a flower wine character and a large lingering after-taste.

So I thought I would try this with hopbursting but I've only ever hopbursted once before and that was the Jamil's Evil Twin recipe from Northern Brewer.

In light of that I would welcome feedback on my recipe which is posted below:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.40 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 m Hop 4 9.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 6.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 13.6 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 18.5 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.4 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [0.1 Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

Do my hop additional look right for a hopbursting effort? Do I need to take anything else into consideration besides reducing the early hop additions and increase the late additions to achieve the same IBUs? I'm hoping to get a smooth bitterness with in-your-face hop flavor and aroma.

Thanks for your help.

Evil Twin uses hops @ 20 minutes until finish. Move them up and then you might need a bit more to get you what you want.

Honestly however the recipe works darn well as in the OP.

Evil Twin uses hops @ 20 minutes until finish. Move them up and then you might need a bit more to get you what you want.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. The only reason I left some hop additions before 20 minutes was Jamil mentions in his article about hopbursting that if you are making a beer with 50+ IBU's you should still keep some early hop additions so you don't overwhelm other flavors

Mr. Malty said:
In beers with significant bitterness (50+ IBU), you might still want to add a charge of high alpha hops early in the boil. If you don't, the amount of hop flavor can completely overwhelm some beers.

Honestly however the recipe works darn well as in the OP.
This definitely seem to be the consensus throughout the thread. Perhaps I will just make it according to the OP and then experiment with it in later brews (if I have the desire.)

Latest posts

Back