Replacing LME with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I ship my ingredients internationally (or will bring them as hand lugage on a plane) so need to use dry ingredients rather than liquid.
I've read that "A handy way to think of grain/DME/LME is this: 1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME"

Therefore, if the recipe asks for 8.5lbs light malt syrup, I assume I can use 6.4lbs light DME. Is this correct? On the same logic, would I just replace "dark liquid extract" with "dark DME" and so on, just adjusting the weight accordingly?

Is there anything else I would need to consider when convertying LME recipe to DME?

Is there a benefit of using LME compared to DME?

With DME you will get alot lighter color. Or should I say your color will be more in line with the style. That and DME keeps for along time. Only plus I see LME has over DME is its alot easier to disolve and mix into your wort

With DME you will get alot lighter color. Or should I say your color will be more in line with the style. That and DME keeps for along time. Only plus I see LME has over DME is its alot easier to disolve and mix into your wort

So should you go a colour "darker" for DME than LME?

So should you go a colour "darker" for DME than LME?

My experience is that LME will darken more than DME. From a tip, by one of the more experienced user here, I never add all of the Malt Extract in the beginning, either LME or DME. I add a portion in the beginning and then the remainder the last minutes of the boil. Since I started doing this it has made a change in the darkening of the Malt Extract during the boil , but more importantly, has made a big difference in the finished product. Not sure how to describe it other than it just tastes less muddy.

What I have been doing, not that is the best or only method;

DME 1/2 in the begining 1/2 at the end
LME 1/3 in the begining and 2/3 at the end
and always remember to take the pot off the heat when you add it and be prepared to manage a boil over.

Back