Blueberry Hefeweisen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
Has anybody had success with this?

I am looking to use 7 lbs of wheat DME 1oz tettinger 60 min with wyeasy weistephinean

Do a split 5 gal batch rack half into a standard secondary and half onto blueberries.

I am looking for input as to how much blueberries would be good for 2.5 gal.

thoughts?

I did a blueberry wheat at the beginning of the summer and used 1 pound per gal and the blueberry flavor was very strong. Tasted great but i was looking for something less intense. When I brew it again I'm scaling back to 1/2 pound per gal.

I've only ever done a blueberry stout and used 2+ lbs for 2.5 gallons. In something as strong on flavor as a stout, the blueberry is there.

I'd agree with hopsaholic, somewhere around 1/2 lb (or less) per gallon should do it for a Heffe.

1/2 pound per gal sounds reasonable. i am planning on using frozen blueberries because of the time of year. should i just thaw them out and rack onto them in the secondary or do any heating up of the fruit first?

I just take them straight from the freezer, quick dunk (10 seconds) in Star San and into the secondary. The alcohol in the beer will kill anything that the Star San didn't get. I've never had any issues with fruit in secondary going this route. Years ago, before Star San, I didn't even use the Star San step.

Back