1/2" Valve to Nipple question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm converting a keggle with ss ball valve and nipple on outside. The nipple doesn't completely screw into the valve, only about 3/4 of the way. I was wondering if this is normal or if I might have a stuck part. I would try to return the part since it's so expensive, but i've seen some pics on the web where some of the threads on the nipples are still exposed .... so not sure if this is ok or i should return the parts?

Usually you don't bury the threads, so that is a good sign. Make sure to use some teflon tape on the threads to make sure they don't leak.

Even with a close nipple (fully threaded) you might need a washer to allow the nipple to tighten fully on both sides of the keg wall.

Pipe threads are tapered. If you look at them closely they get smaller towards the tip of the nipple. They are designed to have only a portion of usable thread as you have seen.

NPT threads are cut so that you basically start snugging at about 1/4" of penatration and it will fully tighten in one more turn. If you've got your own pipe threading machine (haha, doesn't everyone?) you can tweak the die to get more threads in but it's really just a cosmetic thing.

Back