How can I clarify my pumpkin ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyx

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale this past weekend. Used a lot of roasted pumpkin in the mash (single decoction mash). Now the wort is fermenting away, but there is a LOT of trub and you can see a lot of floaties as well.

I know when the fermentation stops and I rack to secondary and cool it down that things will settle; but is there anything else you can do at this point to help clarify?

Thanks!

I am always amazed how much settles out on its own if left to its own devices. I routinely do a 3-4 week primary and a 1 week secondary, that coupled with whirfloc in the boil makes for some very clear beers. Let it sit for a while, and much of that stuff will eventually settle to the bottom.

we had a ton of **** floating around in our pumpkin beer; especially after bottling. these big white masses started to develop and it looked a lot like a lava lamp for a while. we were a little concerned but after a week all of that junk fell to the bottom and we were left with by far the clearest beer that we've ever made (no gelatin or irish moss). there were a lot of little balls (looked like white sesame seeds or something) floating at the top but those ended up falling as well. I'd say just give it time and it'll clear up on its own

Latest posts

Back