would you use a 6G carboy as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I specifically ordered a kit that contained a glass carboy. It arrived a few weeks ago and i was measuring it out recently and it turns out it is 6 gallon not 6.5 gallon.

I was planning on using the carboy as a primary and then bottle conditioning after a few weeks. Now I'm not so sure I want to do so. Wouldn't it make a big mess? Is 6G a little too small?

That will be fine... if a beer is going to blow off, it wont matter of it is 6 gal or 6.5... it will blow off anyway.

Many of us use 6g Better Bottles as primaries. With a blow off hose you may lose a quart or so of beer from a 5g batch. With good temperature control on many lower gravity beers I lose none.

GT

I use 6 gallons and 6.5 gallons, and they work great for 5.5 gallon batches. Actually, there is quite a bit of headspace and I don't get any blowoffs except when brewing a wheat beer or something high gravity.

well that is good to know.

so can i just shove a tube into my stopper where the airlock was supposed to go? Or should I get a bigger hose?

I use a short section of racking cane, and shove it into the rubber stopper. Then, fit a piece of normal 3/8" racking tubing over that and put the end in a jar of sanitizer. Works great!

DSCF0213.JPG

I use 6 gal carboys as my primaries too. Works well. I go get a blowoff sometimes, but who doesn't.

A blow-off tube like the one pictures above (tube shoved into stopper) will work fine. Unless of course you use whole leaf hops and don't strain them out. I learned that the hard way (beer on ceiling :D).

haha, that's awesome...the king of all blowoff tubes! The only problem is I can't tell if it's a piece of brewing equipment or part of my saltwater aquarium setup. :D

that pvc blow off is something else.

2Heads do you ever have any issues with clogging considering how narrow the racking cane is?

that pvc blow off is something else.

2Heads do you ever have any issues with clogging considering how narrow the racking cane is?

Nope, never had a problem. Others here have also taken a 1/2" racking tubing and put the end over the inner pipe on a normal airlock. I already had some extra 3/8" so that's what I've used. Works great, and no clogs yet. Just make sure to use a BIG container of sanitizer and change it out once a day. When fermentation slows, or if temps drop you don't want to suck all that nasty stuff back into your fermenter. :cross:

i'll try it out.

I think my equipment is a little smaller. i looked at the hose and it's 5/16". I don't think the cane had a # on it but obviously smaller than that. It takes some force to get the cane through the stopper.

I'll set it up and keep an eye on it.

We brew tonight!

Back