Wiki addition: Evaluating the malt crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I had been thinking about this article for a while. Last brewday (actually brewnight :D) I took the time to crush small samples of malt at various settings of my malt mill. With and without conditioning and I also used the food processor for one sample. The result is a wiki page that is intended to guide the brewer in the evaluation of the crush for the malt that they are using:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Evaluating_the_Crush

In the past I have seen a lot of good and poor crushes from HBSs which means that you cannot trust the ones who should know about this. Especially when they have an adjustable mill wich everybody can mess up or a mill unsuitable for milling malt.

Feedback is always welcome.

I'll be working on the article for malt conditioniong next as this is an advanced technique that some brewers showed interest in.

Kai

Great job Kaiser, This should be seen by all noob's. I remember when I first got my mill and had no clue really what to look for. Prior to getting my mill I just relied on my LHBS, hoping that they knew best.

Back