Hefe in Whiskey Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfiac

Reaction score
A fresh barrel will BLAST whatever you age in it with whiskey and oak flavor. the first few beers will have VERY apparent whiskey flavor. You probably don't want to put a lighter beer in there first. Personally, I wouldn't want whiskey flavor in a hehe at all, but you might like that. Just realize, it will be VERY strong if it's the first beer going into the barrel.

The recipe doesn't look bad, but a whiskey/oak aged hefe sounds vile to me. If I had a barrel, I'd brew an imperial IPA with rye, robust porter, or imperial stout.

To better answer your question, I'd skip the protein rest and do a 60 minute single infusion mash around 154ºF, then sparge with 170-180ºF water (to achieve a mash out temp in the high 160s).

Thanks for the response gents. I should have mentioned that I plan to blend the aged beer with fresh beer. So 10 gallons in the barrel; I'll pull half out and blend it with 5 gallon of fresh beer. The remaining 5 gallons will go into the barrel that still has 5 gallons of the original stuff in it. And so on and so on. The point being is it won't have the full barrel taste.

The IPA with a little rye sounds interesting as well. I really wanted to do a lighter beer that can pull some color and profile from the barrel--at least that's the thought.

I've had a wheaty Belgian ale cuvee-ed with barrel-aged, and it was amazing.

--Cheers, Chris

My immediate reaction is that the barrel flavors will slaughter a beer like a hef but I suppose there's only one way to find out. I'm dry hopping a Live Oak Hef clone right now so wtf do I know.

You don't have to worry about any beer not getting flavor from the barrel. If that barrel is fresh and wasn't allowed to dry out, even a barley wine will get a noticeable pickup.

My barrel was emptied of whiskey in November of 2009, and has had at least 6 beers run through it. It still smells VERY strongly of whiskey and isn't ready for my planned sour cherry stout or porter yet ;)

Go for it! Its not the consensus, but experimenting is half the fun. Let us know his it turns out (for better or worse)...

Back