First Time w/ Leaf Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nediver

Reaction score
How much wort will leaf hops suck up and whats the best way to deal with it? I want to account for that in my volume calculations. I plan on accounting for efficiency losses as well.

Efficiency losses? That usually refers to mash efficiency, but I assume you are talking about something else here.

In my experience, leaf hops don't sop up tremendously more wort than pellets. I am sure that it is a little bit different, but I don't change my procedure at all to accommodate. How do you transfer from kettle to fermentor? You could always use a bazooka tube or a SS scrubbie pad.

I made a 5 gallon batch of an IPA, and ended up using 6 oz of leaf hops, 3 of which were used as dry hops. I got 47 bottles out of it.

I've also heard from other sources that 1oz of hops will soak up 12 oz of beer in the fermentor.

Efficiency losses? That usually refers to mash efficiency, but I assume you are talking about something else here.

In my experience, leaf hops don't sop up tremendously more wort than pellets. I am sure that it is a little bit different, but I don't change my procedure at all to accommodate. How do you transfer from kettle to fermentor? You could always use a bazooka tube or a SS scrubbie pad.

I am referring to IBU utilization. Word is about 10% less on leaf than pellet, but its speculation... similar to the loss for using a hop bag.

Even Beersmith has a calculation on IBU efficiency depending on leaf, plug, and pellet.

I use a SS braid in my BK.

You could use a mesh hop sack in the boil and wring it out into your wort to reclaim what they absorbed. For dry hops I just cram them into my carboy, no worry about hop sludge getting into the bottles.

I am looking to brew a pliny clone. I will secondary in a bucket so I can use a hop sack and wring it out since this recipe has such a large hop bill.

I am referring to IBU utilization. Word is about 10% less on leaf than pellet, but its speculation... similar to the loss for using a hop bag.

Even Beersmith has a calculation on IBU efficiency depending on leaf, plug, and pellet.

I use a SS braid in my BK.

Sounds like you are covered then. How much gets left behind depends largely on how low your kettle usually drains and whatnot, but a 1/4 cup of wort per ounce sounds about right to me too.

MalFet said:
Sounds like you are covered then. How much gets left behind depends largely on how low your kettle usually drains and whatnot, but a 1/4 cup of wort per ounce sounds about right to me too.

I don't have it in front of me but it's about 4 oz in boil and 4 in dry hop. I have pellets for dry hop because that's what I prefer. I got leaf to avoid stuck drains during wort transfer. Had that happen last time. No mas por favor. It's like bottling, did that once and then bought kegs. Too much PITA.

Back