Fruit taste from primary/secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
Which would give a cleaner fruit flavor, putting more fruit in the primary, or the secondary? I am going to put fruit in both, but was wondering which give more flavor.

You'd be surprised how much fruit flavour is blown out of an airlock......

Apparently, if you put most, if not all, of the fruit in secondary, or even just steep the fruit in the batch after the ferment has finished. You tend to get a fruitier tasting mix.

Obviously when putting fruit into secondary, it's dependant on the yeast as well. Some yeasts, like K1V-1116, are better at retaining the fruitier flavours than others (it's one of the reasons I don't like using EC-1118, it gives too much of a "champagne characteristic").

Of course, if you have the room and reasonable sized fermenters, you can put some into primary, as it will have nutrient and fermentable properties, then the main part of the fruit into the secondary for the actual fruit flavouring (and colouring) it'd probably give what you seem to be aiming for.

Don't forget, doing it that way, also often gives a brew that's drinkable much earlier than it otherwise might be......

another vote for secondary on the fruit.

active fermentation really takes out a lot of the aromatics, which leads ot a loss of flavor.

I like the complexity and changes you get with fruit in the primary. I find the best way to preserve the aromatics is to ferment very cool, and use lots more fruit. :)

Which would give a cleaner fruit flavor, putting more fruit in the primary, or the secondary? I am going to put fruit in both, but was wondering which give more flavor.

Fruit in secondary/tertiary will give you a more true fruit flavour, much closer to the actual fruit than you'll get in primary alone. I like to add fruit to both as this gives me some added depth & complexity of flavour. Regards, GF.

I split it up and so far I have about 1/2 and 1/2 to go into the primary/secondary. I may pick up a little more for the secondary, but may not need to. We'll see how it looks. So far it smells great, but has a long way to go...

Back