SMaSH experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
I need help on a experiment i'm doing for my homebrew shop. If i wanted to do a full mash of say Maris Otter for a 5 gallon batch, what would be the best way to split that up into 5 different hop varieties without having to do a full 5 gallon batch for each variety?

You could just hop-tea each and don't hop at all in your boil, just boil for 10 minutes to clear out nasties. But you won't get a good approximation of an actual brew with this method.

Split it into five 1 gallon containers (pots?) and do boils on all of them with the individual hops added I guess, then separate yeast for all of them, separate vessels to ferment in, etc.

Would be fun to see and taste the differences like this though!

Full 5 gallon mash (or whatever you need for pre boil volume). Then split the wort into five different boils, each with different hops. Then into 5 1-gallon fermenters. That seems the most straightforward way to do it, albeit with a bunch of work.

are you talking about mashing the full 5 gallon batch of maris otter then splitting it up into 5 1 gallon batches? If thats what youre planning and I were doing it i would mash it as you normally would for a 5 gallon batch, and sparge to your normal preboil amount then divide it up equally. Since it would only be one gallon you could easily do a pot on each stove top burner as well as whatever kind of burner you have for your 5 gallon set up (As long as your good with multi tasking with hops schedules for 5 different batches going at once!). As far as the yeast goes though im not sure how you would split that up.

Or make the five gallon wort, then hop two at a time in one gallon batches. Then you won't be using every burner and pot at once. But it isn't easy. You probably could even do it over several days.

Yes. 5 1 gallon batches with the runnings from the same mash. I was think of rehydrating some us-05 into a 500ml starter and then dividing that among the 1 gallon fermenters. Would i still do a hour long boil even though ill only have 1 gallon of wort? What about hop schedule? The idea behind the experiment is to be able to really destinguish the different bitterness/flavor/aroma in the individual hop.

Splitting the 5 gallon mash also makes sure that conditions are as similar as possible for comparison on hop character. No reason why you can't also just split your yeast starter into 5 so the only difference between them is the hop additions.
Keep everything about the same. Still do an hour long boil, keep your hop schedule, and you are good to go.

Back