Crystals 10-150 Substituting 1 for another.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I am doing a brew this morning and noticed that it hs 1lb of crystal 60 in te recipe. Is it ok to sub with a biiger number crystal like 150 and does the numbers mean the darker the color?

I picked up a pound of 150 yesterday (by accident and was going to use it the recipe calls for 60.

:mug:

Can I knock it down to a 1/2 or even less to get the same affect? Or should I just abort the idea of using it all together and scrounge up some 40 or 60.

Are you sure it's 150L or is it 150 EBC? If it's 150L, the flavor is going to be more in the molasses area rather than caramel sweet like 80L. You can halve it to hit the desired color, but the sweetening affect will also be halved. I'll sub crystals up to 20L away from the recipe, but anymore than that and the results are a little unpredictable.

Thanks Bobby, hey totally off subject, I purchased Beer tools and was wandering after entering all of my inventory is there any way to print that to keep track and make a shopping list?

Start chomping on a little of the raw grain.It will give you an idea of the flavor it will impart to your brew--you might be suprised at how good it tastes.

You can get the color right by using about 6.5 oz 150L crystal instead of 1 lb 60L crystal, but the flavor is totally different (and very noticeable). I'd get some 40 or 60 crystal/

-a.

I'm not sure w/ beer tools, but my app Beer Alchemy can be printed off but its the whole recipe... But you have the ingredients right there for a shopping list...

In a stout or a porter, you could make the substitution and still have a great beer. In a Pale, about 1/3 as much will give you the same color, but the flavor will be different.

Thanks Bobby, hey totally off subject, I purchased Beer tools and was wandering after entering all of my inventory is there any way to print that to keep track and make a shopping list?

Oh, you can either go right to file, print and it will give you a full recipe/schedule printout or if you just want a shopping list, go to "window", "shopping list", then print.

Latest posts

Back