Problem on first day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okayknockout

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am not new to home made cider but I am new to this: Yesterday I started a new batch of cider. Today, the fermentation is as slow as molasses (I cannot see any bubbles in the cider and the airlock bubbles once every minute) and the yeast is floating about in what looks like little gelatinous groups. About a third of the yeast is on the top of the carboy, a third can be seen floating about, and the rest is on the bottom of the jug. The yeast I am using (Lalvin EC 1118) has never given me problems before and always forms a very compact lees.

My question is, could this be a bacterial problem? After only 24 hours? Is is something else?

The room that the vessel is in got a bit chilly, ~60 degrees, overnight so could that be it also?

Thanks

Might just be taking longer to get started. And that may not even be the yeast clumping...might just be solids from the cider. Just leave it alone for a few days and see what happens. Sometimes my ciders start fermenting quickly, sometimes they take a few days.

Thanks Evan!

I let the cider sit for a few days and now it is fermenting vigorously! This must've just been a slow start (something I have never experienced in my years of brewing oddly enough!)

- Scott

Back