Extract Texas Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinsam

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After four extract batches under my belt I decided to play around and make my own. If you've ever had C.H Evans Ale House's (Albany Pump Station, Albany, NY) Kick Ass Brown, that's what I was trying for at first. Then I looked into Texas Style Browns, and then I just got distracted and wanted to brew beer. Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this site, whether talking about Texas Browns or Dry Hopping. Here goes, calculations and stuff are from BeerSmith:

747 Brown Ale (name came from the ABV)
(Texas) American Brown Ale

Calculations:
OG 1.075
FG 1.018
IBU 52.2
SRM 22.08
ABV 7.47%

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Fermentables:

4oz Breiss Organic Chocolate
4oz Simpson's Dark Crystal
4oz Weyermann CaraRed

Steep grains till 170 degrees or 20-30 minutes

Begin boil.

3lbs Breiss Golden Light LME @ 60 min
3lbs Breiss Traditional Dark LME @ 30 min
4lbs Turbinado (Brown) Sugar @ 5 min

Hop Schedule-

1 oz Summit Pellets 14.0% @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade Pellets 5.0% @ 20 min
1 oz Cascade Pellets 5.0% @ 5 min
1 oz Cascade Pellets 5.0% @ flameout

Cooled in a water bath and then transferred to bucket with 2 vials of White Labs California Ale WLP001 yeast.

Left it in primary for 2 weeks. Then racked to secondary for 2 weeks, and I added 2 oz Cascade Leaf 5.8% as Dry Hop 5 days before the end. FG was like 1.019-1.020. Bottled.

Opened one up after 1.5 weeks in the bottle. Great hop aroma, delicious pale ale-like taste with the cascades, but nice malt character. If I would do it again I'd definitely use a starter and I'd consider using some Simcoe or other hops to diversify the flavor. Also Irish Moss or another type of clarifier would be really beneficial as the final product seems to have a lot of sediment.

I'm open to critiques and suggestions. Also since I will likely be getting into AG BIAB stuff in a month or so I'm going to try to figure out an AG recipe for it.

Cheers :mug:
Sam

Back