Hop plants have an insect problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Bloomington Indiana. I planted six different hops that grow well in my climate. I understand it is my first year so I have not had a lot of buds growing. I am mainly allowing the plant to help its root growth. The problem i have had however is insects and other creatures eating my vines. There are whole leaves missing from either a deer or insects. I have knocked off several catipillers. I went around all six plants with a weed whacker and killed back growth around them. I also mowed a huge area around them to keep pesst back. I will build an enclosure to stop deer. My question is does any one know of a good repellent to keep bugs off. Looking for great results next year.

Best thing seems to be to either plant something that the bugs like more than your hops, A sacrificial plant, Or plant something that repels the insects. I used insecticide this year - wiped out all the bugs and so the spider mites had a field day with no natural predators around. The plants will survive, but no hops this year.

-OCD

Back