Storing a fully carbed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
I have two kegs of the same brew, a marzen, that I want to have ready to drink at the same time. Problem is I only have room to get one of them carbed up at a time. One keg is currently carbed and ready to drink. The other is in another fridge with just enough CO2 to seal the keg. Can I take the carbed keg off the gas and store it at the same temp. and trust that it will still have the same carbonation level when I put it back on? In the meantime, I would be carbing the other keg. I appreciate any help.

Yes it will. even if you store at room temp, that is OK. Keep in mind while the carbonation will stay the same, the presure coming out of the keg willbe higher if the keg warms up.

So chill that sucker before hooking up or vent before hooking up to your reg (this also prevents beer blowing back down the air line).

I have four pressurized kegs sitting in my home office, aging. It just makes the beer better.

(One, I am hiding from SWMBO. She was trying to drink all my Blueberry Wheat)

Thanks for the help. That is what I will do then. I will be storing the carbed keg at the same temperature it is at now, so pressure should be fine then. Thanks again

is it alright to pressurize a keg at 40 psi for 2 days to force carb then immediately drop it down to serving psi at 8 psi and serve later?

is it alright to pressurize a keg at 40 psi for 2 days to force carb then immediately drop it down to serving psi at 8 psi and serve later?

You could do that but you'll probably end up with an over-carbonated beer. I would hit it with 20-25PSI for two days then just store it until needed with no further changes to the pressure. It will likely drop over time to 5-8PSI and remain constant at that until you decide to tap it.

With the first one of the two kegs, I hit it with 25 psi for 24 hrs, purged the head space and dropped it to serving pressure. It seemed to be ready a little quicker than just setting it and forgetting it.

Back