Lemon Strawberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bottle of strawberry extract that I need to use up, but I also wanted to make another batch of the lemon Ale that's just about gone.

So I was thinking of doing a 10 gallon brew, 5 being just the lemon ale which I would keg, and the other 5 I would add the extract at bottling.

How do you think the flavors would work together?

Here's the recipe I used last time which was a hit with all who tried it.

Lemon Ale

10.00 lb Pale Malt, 2 Row
1.00 lb Crystal Malt, 10L
0.75 oz Cascade [6.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Cascade [6.00%] (15 min)

Added lemon zest from 2 whole lemons, boiled for 15 minutes.

This next time in addition to the zest, I'm going to quarter the remaining lemons and toss them into the primary with the beer.

I also might use Willamette instead of cascade.

Any input on adding strawberry extract to this at bottling?

from my experiance with extracts is they add aroma but not flavor. You might want to try some oregon fruit puree if you are going for flavor.

from my experiance with extracts is they add aroma but not flavor. You might want to try some oregon fruit puree if you are going for flavor.

Hmm... that's too bad.

So even though it's a "flavoring extract" it doesn't seem to impart much flavor?

I thought about the puree... but since I have the flavor extract already I am trying to find a beer for it.

Back