Hydrometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybob

Reaction score
Hey guys,
ive been reading here for a few weeks now doing research on brewing. Im going to make my first brew this weekend and im thinking about doing an amber ale.

I feel like i have a pretty solid handle on what to do, but im confused about using the hydrometer. i mainly dont know when/how to take the readings. is the OG right before you pitch the yeast? and when do you take a reading for the final gravity? from what ive come to understand, you dont want to open the top and let air get to the mix, so how do you know when to take the final reading.

thanks,
crazybob

usually the initial or starting gravity is taken right before the yeast is pitched. the final gravity is taken when you believe enough time has passed to bottle, usually 2-4 weeks. now, you can take readings 3 days consecutively to make certain fermentation is complete. as long as youre sanitized, and you dont splash or otherwise aerate your beer when you take the readings you should be fine.

The fermentation will have left an invisible layer of CO2 on top of your beer. Like the last poster said, just be careful and the oxygen should stay away from your beer.

Also, get yourself a wine theif, it will make taking samples much easier.

:mug:

You can take a gravity reading anytime you want, just realize that everytime you do so you add a little bit of risk of infection/oxidation/etc... If you follow sanitation guidelines, the risk should not be great. I try to take my readings at least one week apart, but that's just me.

usually the initial or starting gravity is taken right before the yeast is pitched. the final gravity is taken when you believe enough time has passed to bottle, usually 2-4 weeks. now, you can take readings 3 days consecutively to make certain fermentation is complete. as long as youre sanitized, and you dont splash or otherwise aerate your beer when you take the readings you should be fine.

Man I tried to read your post but my eyes keep going here

<------------------- Your avatar

You can take a gravity reading anytime you want, just realize that everytime you do so you add a little bit of risk of infection/oxidation/etc... If you follow sanitation guidelines, the risk should not be great. I try to take my readings at least one week apart, but that's just me.

Unless you have a spigot on your fermenter. :)

Back