Blending Grape Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I have several grape vines at my parents house. They planted them awhile ago an don't remember what varieties they are anymore. They are all wine grapes and they are both red and white. This year we are getting a surprisingly good yield. So I thought to myself..I should make wine. Problem is they are mystery grapes.
I know that commercial wines are often grape blends, so blending mine is not that far fetched... But what about blending whites and reds? I am not sure If I will have enough of each color grape to make their own batches. Would a white red blend be pushing it? I am also not a big fan of blush wines. So if thats what I will be getting maybe its a bad idea.
Would it be a better idea to add a berry to the wine as a filler for grapes. Such as blackberries or elderberries... or will that make the wine start really taking on odd characteristics?
Also does anyone know how may pounds of grapes are needed for 5 gallons of wine?

I have no experience in this exact area, but have read that it takes 30 pounds of grapes to yield 1 gallon of wine.

Pogo

Latest posts

Back