Fruit beer : Will tartness settle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I recently made a fruit beer using 9lb (10 gallon batch) frozen mixed berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries etc).
I let it ferment for 5 days and then added the fruit. The fruits been in for about four days. The smell is great but the taste is VERY tart.
I know its early days but will the tartness settle ?
OG was 1.033 - light beers I normally primary for two weeks and then bottle or keg - Should I give this beer longer or follow the same schedule ?

Last time when i did a fruit beer it took 5 weeks before tartness went away.
It takes time for the flavors to meld.

If you get impatient you can always use lactose to sweeten it up.
But, If your not in a hurry...Just give it the 2 weeks in the carboy, Keg it up...And put it online in your kegerator if you have room and give it a try once a week.

Hope that helps :)

I made a peach wheat and was not prepared for how tart it turned out. It never mellowed. A very disappointing brew. Sorry for a discouraging but truthful post.

Its been kegged now for 10 days and is much better. Most of the tartness is gone and tastes much better. In fact, its quite tasty, nice refreshing summer brew.

Last time when i did a fruit beer it took 5 weeks before tartness went away.
It takes time for the flavors to meld.

If you get impatient you can always use lactose to sweeten it up.
But, If your not in a hurry...Just give it the 2 weeks in the carboy, Keg it up...And put it online in your kegerator if you have room and give it a try once a week.

Hope that helps :)

Sweet!
I am glad it worked out for you :mug:

It is a hard and fast rule i have found that is true, With almost all beers but especially fruit beers; The longer you let them sit in a keg the better it will get.
Flavors will meld, Tartness will slowly go away, and it gets rather tasty time the keg is empty.

Latest posts

Back