Mash Tun help....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosnowsk8er

Reaction score
Well...where to begin, i bougt a cooler, started modding it...(my first mash tun) as as it turns out my copper tubing sits almost 3/4-1" off the bottem... :( will this still work? or am i going to lose alot of the good stuff when i'm mashing..... any ideas how to fix the problem?

If you are using tubing you should be able to bend it so it is at the bottom. If its pipe you might be able to put a 45 bend inline.

ya but the last 3/4's of an inch of water isnt going to run uphill to get out for the cooler.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ohhhhhh where it enters.................

put a block of wood under one side :drunk:

There must be a preferred model to use. I have not made one yet but its coming soon.

The water will run uphill just like when you siphon until it gets down to the openings in your manifold and can suck air, as long as the hose you are draining it with is lower. :D

Yeah the weight of everything pushing down, including the grain, will help drive the water up the manifold to the spigot.

The key to having it drain right with the 45s is having the drain line lower than the botom of your tun. A couple of feet of drain hose hanging into your kettle will give your cooler all the suction needed to drain it right to the bottom.

Back