Could something like this really work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea how well it would work, but our local military surplus store sells 12G nitro carts for a great deal cheaper per gram.

I think EdWort bought some of these for dispensing wine from a keg. You could PM him and see what he thinks of them.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
I have no idea how well it would work, but our local military surplus store sells 12G nitro carts for a great deal cheaper per gram.

What would these be used for?

I might go check out a military store right by my house.

I found an online homebrewing store that sells 24 of them for 10 bucks. If I can't find them locally I will order some. I don't see why this wouldn't work to push the beer instead of C02. Not sure what the result would be, but I'd assume it would work similar to a widget.

So you would force carb it with CO2 and then push it with nitrogen? Seems like it should work, but for Guiness-esque head wouldn't you need a stout tap? I guess the application they have in mind is dispensing beverages that shouldn't be carbonated, but I don't see any reason not to try it.

Baron von BeeGee said:
So you would force carb it with CO2 and then push it with nitrogen? Seems like it should work, but for Guiness-esque head wouldn't you need a stout tap? I guess the application they have in mind is dispensing beverages that shouldn't be carbonated, but I don't see any reason not to try it.

I doubt you'd need a stout tap either, because a can with a widget doesn't dispense through a stout faucet. I dunno...seems like the same concept to me.

I DO have a stout faucet though, so if it doesn't work I can use that.

I'll let oyu guys know.

The nitrogen is used to push the beer at higher pressure without over-carbing it. You can read about the common misconception about the widget here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=126829&postcount=3 where Walker pwned me.

Stout faucets have a small orifice in them, like the widget, and thus make creamy head. You can get the same effect by shooting a jet of the stout into the glass with a syringe - it just looks like you're trying to date-rape yourself (okay, if you're into that sort of thing...)

Dude said:
So are you saying that pushing with that nitro cartridge won't work?

If the beer was already carbed and you were pushing it through a creamer faucet, it would.

Beer-gas is a mixture of nitro and CO2, so the CO2 carbs and the nitro ups the pressure for the creamer faucets. If you alternated CO2 cartridges and Nitro cartridges, it might work.

I think Nitrogen needs higher pressure regulators too, so you may need to by theirs...

Chairman Cheyco said:
If the beer was already carbed and you were pushing it through a creamer faucet, it would.

Beer-gas is a mixture of nitro and CO2, so the CO2 carbs and the nitro ups the pressure for the creamer faucets. If you alternated CO2 cartridges and Nitro cartridges, it might work.

I think Nitrogen needs higher pressure regulators too, so you may need to by theirs...

Hmmmmm.....why'd you have to piss in my whiskey?

Chairman Cheyco said:
.... have a small orifice in them, like the widget, and thus make creamy head...

I'm nominating this for the "homebrewing terms that sound dirty but aren't" thread. Just substitute "widget" with "midget."

Latest posts

Back