Mashing in brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhornbrewmaster

Reaction score
Ok so after 5 batches I am ready to try an all grain recipe, the only problem is that I do not want to buy/make a mash tun...

Would it be possible to both mash and sparge in the brew pot? I would clamp a big seeping bag to the brew pot top, add the grains in the open seeping bag and leave it open so I can still stir. After mashing is complete I will lift the bag with grains up above the water in the pot, and then start pouring 170 degree water from another pot over grains into original brewpot.

Would this basically work the same? Or am I setting myself up for disaster?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, that would work. But I'm assuming you are doing a small batch? The reason is that a 5 gallon batch would probably have 10 pounds or so of grain. That would be a lot of grain in one small bag to lift over the brewpot and pour sparge water over!

Check out the sticking on stovetop brewing which shows some good tips (photos) on how to do this. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

You might need a helper for that sparge step.

(Am I the only one that first read Sleeping Bag?)

Do a google search for brew in a bag. I've done 3 half size batches that way (only have a 5 gallon kettle) and I've gotten the same efficiency with not sparging as I got with. You could give it a try that way and see for yourself.

I'm doing the stove top partial mash technique with a 5 gallon brew pot and using a bottling bucket to do a "grain tea" sparge for 15 minutes. Just using a regular 2 gallon pot to heat up sparge water to 170. Works pretty well. I plan to use this method for my first AG 3 gallon batch.

Yup, BIAB. Check out aussiehomebrewer.com, it's kinda where it all started. Very simple, and works great. More importantly, pay close attention to your ferm temps, because that will have a bigger effect on your beer.

Back