Wort Chiller & Bazooka Screen trouble brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
My last batch of brew was my first time using an immersion wort chiller and I was blown away at how fast it chilled everything. Now for the next batch I have added a Bazooka screen and my problem is that the chiller will rest ontop of the screen. Will this damage the screen? Has anyone designed or thought of some kind of feet to add on the bottom of the chiller to keep it off the screen?

Any ideas appreciated!!

samc

Your screen should be fine. Don't sweat it. The IC will be more buoyant in the wort, so you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure the IC fits completely in your kettle with the screen attached (i.e. all of the coils are submerged).

No feet needed. I've been brewing with that arrangement for years. I've bent the bazooka unscrewing it, but the wort cooler isn't a problem.

tokolosh - david 42 : Thanks for helping me put that fear to rest!

I think the bigger question is whether the cold break will clog the bazooka screen..........let us know how that works.......I'm interestend in the bazooka screen.

I think the bigger question is whether the cold break will clog the bazooka screen..........let us know how that works.......I'm interestend in the bazooka screen.
I will get back to you! I just finished brewing an I2PA and between the cold break and the hop pellets (last time I use them!) I was clogged with my usual siphon method and it was a total mess. That's why I bought the weld-be-gone and bazooka set up.

I have been using a V-vessel fermenter and it has a very narrow outlet at the bottom which is currently clogged from all that excess gunk that did not get filtered out. I now have to rack to a carboy which I thought I had eliminated as a brewing step. The whole reason I bought that weird looking V-vessel was to skip that part!

I've only had clogging problems when I use large amount of pellet hops and even then it is a simple matter to gently scrape the accumulation off the bazooka to get the flow going again.

Back