Moment of insanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkensatyr

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS with a list. Walked out without a SINGLE item on it. Looked at the grains on the wall and decided, what the heck, lets just make a frankenbeer! This should be the IPA of almost unreproducable measures! Went in for an Irish red and instead grabbed:
11 lb pale
1.5 lb crystal 40
1 lb Munich
1 lb Rye

So, looks like the hop freezer is getting thinned down tomorrow. No clue what the hop additions will be yet, or the final IBU, but it will make itself known tomorrow morning.

Prolly use some mag, fugg, amarillo, cascade, and northern brewer. I love this! Been too damn serious about perfecting my recipes here lately. This will be a nice change.

Jeez, how dare you flaunt the rules of brewing like this! :p

Seriously...so explain to me, what is "almost unproducable" about this? The grain bill doesn't look too crazy. Are you planning on dumping pound upon pound of hops in it?

Should have read unREproducible. I am not measuring the hops, just guessing as I throw them in drunk. Cleaning out a bunch of old hops.

Gotcha. Now I get it. There IS something to be said for spontaneous brews, rather than the typical calculated, note-taking brew session. And it sure makes it easier on the inebriated brain cells. Have a good time, brother.

Refrigerator Ale is when you use up all of the bits & pieces before they go bad. My first batch of Bent Rod Rye had seven hops in it.

david_42 said:
Refrigerator Ale is when you use up all of the bits & pieces before they go bad. My first batch of Bent Rod Rye had seven hops in it.

The batch I did yesterday, an oatmeal stout, was the same on the grain side. 'Cept, I'm sure most of the grains were pretty stale, so I'm considering it an experiment in how long crushed grain stays viable when stored at room temp. Half-pound of carapils, 6 ounces of crystal 20, half pound of Special B... right down the line, about eight different grains in all.

Back