**** Trader Joes Rocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a TJ about 30 minutes from me and ive driven by a it a bunch but have never gone it. I thought it was just healthy overpriced organic crap. Looks like I will now be making a trip up there just for TJ. Im sure they wont sell beer though because delaware is retarded like that.

Tj's is interesting...it's great quality, mostly organinc food at a moderate to low price...

Trader Joe's describes itself as "your neighborhood" or "your unique grocery store". Products sold include gourmet foods, organic foods, vegetarian food, unusual frozen foods, imported foods, kosher foods, domestic and imported wine (where local law permits), "alternative" food items, and basics like bread, cereal, eggs, dairy, coffee and produce. Non-food items include personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, plants, and flowers.

Trader Joe's sells many items from any of several of its own private labels. Such labels are quirkily named by the ethnicity of the food in question, such as Trader Jose's, (Mexican food) Trader Ming's, (Asian food) Baker Josef's, (bagels) Trader Giotto's, (Italian food) Trader Joe-San, (Japanese food) Arabian Joe's, (Middle Eastern food), JosephBrau (beer), Trader Johann's, (lip balm) Trader Jacque's, (imported French soaps) Joe's Diner, (certain frozen entrees) Joe's Kids, (Kid Foods) and Trader Darwin's (vitamins). By selling almost all of its products under its own label, Trader Joe's "skips the middle man" and buys directly from both local and international small-time vendors.[11]

Trader Joe's is the exclusive retailer of Charles Shaw wine, popularly known as Two Buck Chuck[9] because of its $1.99 a bottle price in California (although in some locales it sells for over $3 a bottle, due to varying state liquor taxes and transportation costs). Of the wine selection at Trader Joes, Coloumbe has said, "We built Trader Joe's on wine first, then food. I tasted 100,000 wines, and most weren't wonderful. They were submitted to us by desperate vintners." Along with Charles Shaw, Trader Joes is known for stocking a very large selection of California and New-World wines.[12]

I don't know how they manage...but their prices are not that high...the thing is the lowish prices are seductive, and the selection is interesting, and most of it, as DB has said, take no longer to cook than a hungry man tv dinner, but they just taste 1,000 times better. You keep loading your cart or basket with interesting goodies...You go "or wow, this is ONLY 3.95?" and add it to your order..

If you can ever find their smoke salmon in the wooden box, you would saw off a limb for it...it's so freaking good!

I don't know how they manage...but their prices are not that high...the thing is the lowish prices are seductive, and the selection is interesting, and most of it, as DB has said, take no longer to cook than a hungry man tv dinner, but they just taste 1,000 times better. You keep loading your cart or basket with interesting goodies...You go "or wow, this is ONLY 3.95?" and add it to your order..

From what I've read, they have contracts with organic markets and buy in huge bulk, paying their money up front. All the ones around here have really cool employees. It's a well-run business.

From what I've read, they have contracts with organic markets and buy in huge bulk, paying their money up front. All the ones around here have really cool employees. It's a well-run business.

Yeah where else can you go and get to wear Hawaiian Shirts to work, in the Middle of winter, in Michigan?

TJ's rocks...I wish we'd open one here in my town..but I guess I have to contend myself that it being 45 minutes away, but still on the way home from work...

Stopped by TJ's for the first time tonight. Picked up a sixer of Kennebunkport IPA, two 22's of Dead Guy, a couple Samuel Smith bottles, and a four pack of Pranqster Golden Ale. They had good prices on Flying Dog Sixers, but didn't see my favorite Double IPA.

Oh, and for the wife, three bottles of Three Buck Chucks.

Back