Fermentation Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheels4

Reaction score
I was going to build the Son of fermentation chiller but had another idea. Living in NC it has been really hot the last few weeks. I used to ferment in the crawl space but even there it got to 80 degrees the last batch. (beer is going in keg today so I dont know how it is) I decided to dig a hole 2 feet deep and check the temp over the course of the week. The warmest it got to was 70 degrees and it was 96 outside. So I brewed a batch of Wheat last night and put it in the hole. This should work right? The earth should even help pull heat out of the fermenting wort right? Also I put the pail in a white garbage bag as to not allow any dirt on the pail. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what were the results? Thanks :mug:

Anything to lower the internal temps to as low as possible. I did a wheat around 64 and it was great. Better than when I used to to mid 70s (room temp). Sounds like a great idea.

Wheels, I just posted a new thread with the exact same idea (maybe a bit more elaborate). I then searched like mad and found this thread as the only other example of putting a fermenter in a hole in the ground.

How is this working out for you so far? How are you keeping the hole from filling with rain water? How are you protecting it from the sun/is it covered or burried in any way?

It's been pretty damn hot in NC for the past couple of weeks. Sounds like it should work. Let us know how your beer turns out.

It is fermenting nice...seems to be working good as it is not getting above 70. I will post in 2 weeks when it is done on how it came out. It is a wheat so I will go straight to keg in 2 weeks. It is in the crawl space under my house. I have about 5ft. of height when you first walk in. I decided to put it more in the middle of the house as to try to keep it cooler. I dont think you would have to do this though. I dug another hole closer to the door and it is the same temps below ground. My neighbors are looking at me kinda funny carrying buckets of dirt from the crawl space :p. I should send my wife on vacation for a few days so they dont see her around. So far so good though.

Haha... messin with heads is fun :) Spatter a garbage bag full of old clothes with ketchup and drag it around the house and under when the neighbors are out.

You're in NC, I'm in Ontario... I don't think I need to worry about where I did - it will be plenty cool. I may do this this weekend with the brew I've got lined up. It is getting tough to keep temps down in the basement.

Just as a question, have you thought about getting a chest freezer conversion kit? You wouldn't need to make a kegerator, but something that can keep the temps in the low 60's just requires the thermostat and the chest freezer. It might be too much of an investment, but I could see temps being a huge problem in NC for 5 months or more out of the year. Also this setup would allow you to do lagers too. Total cost might be as low as 250$ if you get it new.

Just as a question, have you thought about getting a chest freezer conversion kit? You wouldn't need to make a kegerator, but something that can keep the temps in the low 60's just requires the thermostat and the chest freezer. It might be too much of an investment, but I could see temps being a huge problem in NC for 5 months or more out of the year. Also this setup would allow you to do lagers too. Total cost might be as low as 250$ if you get it new.

I had thought about getting something like that. But I already have 2 refrigerators, a kegerator, 2 central air units and a pool filter that runs 12 hrs. a day. The last thing I need is to use more electric. Im suprised they have not stopped by to see if I have a grow room :p. The crawl space is free and I think it is going to work out great. I checked the temp of the wort today and it was 68 so I see no problem with this set up. If I do have to go that route I will but I would rather not. Thats why I was going to do the son of a chiller it is also basically free to run.

Moved to keg today. Sample tasted good so we will see how it is in another week. I think it is going to work out great though :mug:.

Back