Strawberry Mead from welch's frozen concentrated juice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank55

Reaction score
I'm new to mead and have a 5 gallon batch of basic mead going now. 16 lbs of honey, 4 gallons spring water, lalvin d-47, and nutrient. When I rack it into the secondary could I use strawberry concentrate mixed with honey instead of using fresh or frozen strawberries? Could I add the concentrate to another primary batch by mixing with the spring water and honey? I have 6 containers of welch's strawberry concentrate in the freezer and am itching to find a purpose for them, since I dont ever really drink juice unless there's alcohol involved anyways, I figured why not add it to the mead. I also have a few containers of welch's passion fruit concentrate i'd like to get rid of..any suggestions? I was considering doing a hard cider with them. But I would really like to make a mead instead.

Thanks!

I'm a bit new myself, and am interested in the responses. I'd figure if it's all natural, I'd give it a shot. I'm wondering about how much per gallon you'd want to use, since it may end up sweetening it a lot if it's very concentrated or has sugars added.

When I rack my 5 gallons into a secondary, my plan is to rack most of it into another 5 gallon carboy with just honey...and mix a little in 1/2 gallon jugs with some honey and concentrate..just to find out how it will turn/taste...but I have about 14 days left in the primary before I rack. It's all trial and error, why ruin all 5 gallons?

I'm interested to see how this works out as well. If it turns out well it might be a viable way to save money on buying fruit. Usually expensive where I'm located.

Back