about how long wil i need use a blow-off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newB_newyorker

Reaction score
does it generally last the whole length of the primary fermentation? or do you take it out at some time??

also, what size tubing is suitable for a blow-off and how do you affix it into the top of the fermenter?

It is, in my opinion, easier to leave it on there for the whole primary fermentation. You should get a carboy cap and run a hose off of one of the output tubes. Or just get a drilled stopper and an apropriately sized piece of tubing.

Cheers

i usually switch it out after a week or so when i take my first gravity reading. it helps see the bubbling a bit better.

if i goto secondary i put a clean airlock on there, obviously.

if i don't take a reading until i bottle or keg and i don't transfer to secondary, i leave it on for the entire time.

I just made a hefeweizen and had mine on for 2 days I think, maybe 3. Tore it out, and threw an airlock in. Granted this was my first time needing one so perhaps your brew might turn out different.... perhaps my yeast pissed out on me a little early.

Back