Is there a limited amount of time to pitch after aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I brewed then aerated with straight oxygen for about 1.5 min and pitched my yeast about 12 hours later. Would the oxygen have dissipated out of solution by then?

I am sure one of the hard core science geeks will chime in, but I think yes, a lot of your oxygen would have gone other places. The colder the wort the more Oxygen it will hold in solution, but a 12 hour lag time is probably to be avoided.

Just wondered about the 12 hour lag time between oxygenation and pitching the yeast ? Stuff happens, I know. Gotta be a story there ....

I am sure one of the science geeks will chime in, but I think yes, a lot of your oxygen would have gone other places.

Just wondered about the 12 hour lag time between oxygenation and pitching the yeast ? Stuff happens, I know.

Lager. I was letting it cool to my desired fermentation temp.

Maybe I'll hit it with another 1.5 min of O2

Lager. I was letting it cool to my desired fermentation temp.

Maybe I'll hit it with another 1.5 min of O2

Pardon me, I know very little about lager procedures.

(slinks off with tail between legs)

I would aerate again before you pitch. Do you know the temp of the wort when you aerated the first time? The amount of O2 remaining would depend on the temperature of the wort during this time.

Edit: I just saw your recent post. I believe you can still aerate within the first 12-18 h, but I would try to avoid over aerating the wort. The amount of O2 required depends on the OG.

Thx. I see some foaming now. It probably would have been a good idea to aerate again. Next time. :mug:

I would aerate again before you pitch. Do you know the temp of the wort when you aerated the first time? The amount of O2 remaining would depend on the temperature of the wort during this time.

Probably 70-71F OG 1.064

Back