A substitution for a substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard5289

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

i need a substitution for a substitution, I'll explain...

I want to Brew up this Quaffable Irish Red Extract recipe, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/quaffable-irish-red-extract-55441/
next weekend but my LHBS is missing a couple of grain ingredients.
My LHBS doesn't carry Special Roast Malt in their grain lineup and Schlenkerla said in an later posting that you can substitute a 50/50 Blend of Melanoidin and Caramunich for the Special Roast Malt amount.
Unfortunately my LHBS doesn't carry Melanoidin either. bummer

What are some alternatives that I can use for Melanoidin part of the Special Roast Malt sustitution?
Or what are some other possible substitutions I could use for the Special Roast Malt?

Here is a grain list of what my LHBS has in stock;
Pale Malt
Crystal (caramel) 10L, 40L, 60L, 80L, 120 Lovebond
Carapils (Dextrine)
Torrified Wheat (USA)
Vienna Malt (USA)
Victory (Toasted) Malt (USA)
Wheat Malt (USA)
Smoked Malt (peated) (UK)
Honey Malt, (Gambrinus
Aromatic (Belgium)
Chocolate Malt (USA)
Biscuit (Belgium)
Black Patent Malt (USA)
Dingemans Cara 45
Acid Malt (Germany)
Special B (Germany)
Dingemans Cara 20
Roasted Black Barley (USA
Munich Malt (US)

My intention is to get this recipe as close as possible with what my LHBS has in stock for grains without resorting to special ordering.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Redbeard5289

Maybe .25lb of victory and 9g of chocolate malt. It'll get you the same color and I think the flavor should be close

Thanks for the reply dcp27.

Is the .25 lb of Victory and 9 grams of Chocolate malt suppose to substitute the Melanoidin or the Special Roast?

Sorry I just want to be clear before I take the recipe into the LHBS and get my order filled.

Thanks
Redbeard5289

oops sorry, the special roast. special roast is basically a darker, roastier version of victory

If you want 4 oz special roast, PM me with you address. I can mail it to you on Tuesday.
Do you want it milled or whole? (I nearly threw it away today, but I'd rather donate it to a worthy cause).

-a.

Latest posts

Back