Plastic Big Mouths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
Excuse me if it's been mentioned before but i did't find the thread. I heard the stories about the glass big mouth bubblers, and whether they are true or not, i'd stay away from them. But, What about the plastic big mouth bubblers, specifically the one with the spicket? anyone own one, or heard any stories specific to them? Let me know. I think it would be a good to have for beers that dont need a secondary.

I've had one since they first came out and I really like it. Easy to clean, light weight, safe, see through. What's not to like. I don't have a spigot on mine though.

One tip, wash it right away. It's a pain to get dried on krausen out of those little water drop texture things. Not sure why they designed it like that.

Why spend $30 on a 6.5 gallon carboy when you can get a 30L(8 Gallon) brewcraft bucket for the same price that has built in threads for a spigot if you want to go that route later? Infinitely easier to clean with a soft sponge...

More head space is always a good thing when you should realistically be putting 6+ gallons into your fermenter if you want to get 5 gallons out after everything settles.

More head space is always a good thing when you should realistically be putting 6+ gallons into your fermenter if you want to get 5 gallons out after everything settles.
Holy Trub Batman! I throw everything from the kettle into my fermentor and I still only need 5.5 gallons to package 5 gallons of finished beer.

I have 2 plastic 6.5 gal BMBs and I love them. I am able to fit 2 in my ferm chamber at the same time due to their narrow profile.

I love them, but I do find them to be a bit flimsy. If you have liquid in them, such as water while washing, and put it on the ledge of a sink, for example, then you can see the plastic buckle. I just avoid that all together.

Cleaning is easy if done right away. The design is stupid, texture inside the BMB is definitely a design that should be avoided at all costs. I do not care if the vessel is cute, I prefer functionality. The added bubbles and such are unnecessary and do not do anything to the fermentation process. It only means we're having to worry about what is stuck in each space.

I enjoy mine quite a bit but i agree with the "bubbles" being a flaw.

I also notice that yeast will collect on the ledges going up the sides. How is it so hard to just make a smooth even surface?

Thanks for the replies, I think that it will be one of my next purchases, with spigot since it would make it easier for bottling and pulling samples for gravity readings. That and a wort chiller.

Get that chiller!

The BMB is fine. I do like mine, but I have to question why they would design it with the bubble pattern on the side. IF this thing was designed specifically for homebrewing (I doubt it) that would be a huge minus in my mind.

But a good oxy soak and a wipe with a sponge or rag should clean it up pretty good.

I use only Walmart 3 and 3.5 gallon ice tea dispensers for fermenters.....but I only brew 2.5 or 3 gallon brews.

Recently I threw out a Brew Demon...... it cracked, but always hated the internal "features" that made cleaning a pain........ the Brew Demon logo is pressed into the plastic leaving little trenches to collect trub, as are the threads at the top. My ice tea dispensers are completely featureless on the inside.....Just smooth acrylic, and the top is larger than the base. Much like a brew bucket, except transparent. I love the easy cleaning. My reaction to the BMB when I saw one is "Why would you buy something with all those "features" to collect junk??" Not to mention that they are NOT cheap.

H.W.

Back