what to do when there is no fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmus3

Reaction score
I recently bought a winexpert kit and followed the instructions, sprinkling the yeast over the wine at the proper temperature, however no action after two days. How important is it to seal the container during the initial fermentation process? the lid was on but the airlock was not in place, allowing air into the container. How much, if any, damage have i done?

I've never done this kit, but I do make wine. In wine, covering tightly is not as important in the primary so don't worry about that. However, I"m willing to bet that the wine is fermenting. Take an s.g and compare it to the original- if it's lower, then you know it's going! Wine does not usually develop a krausen, so the only way to tell is to take the s.g. readings.

The best thing to do when you make a kit is to follow the directions completely, though- as some kits are designed differently than others.

When are you supposed to put it in secondary?

Thanks for the information, You are probably right about the fermentation, when i sealed the lid with an airlock it started bubbling almost imediately. First time with wine, I read that the foam was about the same amount as beer, apparently this is not the case. Unfortunately i already dumped another packet of yeast into it before i stirred it up to find this out. Hopefully i didn't ruin it when i added the second packet of yeast. Thanks again.

No, the extra yeast didn't hurt it any. Don't worry about it. The extra yeast will flocculate out with the lees. and when you rack you'll leave it behind.

Back