You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there, done that. My old yard service guys loved my beers moreso than commercial ones after doing my grass, etc. Save for the one that asked for the Bud Light Lime he'd had last time. Oh well. 1 out of five ain't bad...:mug:

Been there, done that. My old yard service guys loved my beers moreso than commercial ones after doing my grass, etc. Save for the one that asked for the Bud Light Lime he'd had last time. Oh well. 1 out of five ain't bad...:mug:
In my line of work the client often offers the workers a beer at the end of the day. Whenever it's the typical adjunct lager I accept the offer and use the "I'm driving, save it for later" routine. Little do they know I save it for when I have the rare BMC guests, then they have a selection ready and waiting for them.

It kinda worked out similarly for me. I had four different beers of mine ready to go. But had a few BLL's left, so he took that after tasting my light & dark hybrid lagers. Can't win'em all...:mug:

When you have all the bottles you need, but just can't bring yourself to toss out a newly emptied batch of craft bottles. Das ist mein kampf....:mug:

It's comforting I'm not alone with this obsession...

Another sign of being a home brewer...getting disproportionately excited when you learn a friend enjoys a beer that comes in a flip top bottle.

When the only way to thaw frozen meat for dinner is to toss the bag in the swamp cooler that's cooling your brew.

You know you are (becoming a good) homebrewer when:
Your homebrew club asks you to start bottling in bombers instead of 12s, so they can have bigger samples.

When you make sure to keep enough, barely, hops, and yeast on hand to brew on a moments notice.

I never Know when an extra brew chance is gonna pop up and I like being prepared! :mug:

pb

Good point. I bought that chromed steel shelf with two dunnage containers. One is for grains if I can ever get ahead enough to order various grains as extra for such opportunities.

Yeah, you never know when the muses will be upon you! I was taking my middle son to job #2 yesterday, & the usual sandbagger dragged down a line of traffic with us at the end. I went on my usual rant, but said to him, " Here we go again, tippy tippy tappy on the brake pedal, blah blah yada yada...". I then had the idea to use it as a book title about home brewing! So book #3 was started yesterday afternoon. Tippy Tippy Tappy- A Journey Through Home Brewing. I thought tipping a glass after tapping a keg, ya know? Hope I can get it done in time for Christmas...

You know you're a homebrewer when you have more equipment than most amateur chemists.

My latest purchase: A 5 litre borosilicate Duran-Schott Griffin Beaker made in Mainz, Germany. It can go straight from a boil into an ice bath.

Looks very similar to this one (I'm too lazy to take a photo).

BK-2001-019Bb.jpg

You know you're a homebrewer when you have more equipment than most amateur chemists.

My latest purchase: A 5 litre borosilicate Duran-Schott Griffin Beaker made in Mainz, Germany. It can go straight from a boil into an ice bath.

Looks very similar to this one (I'm too lazy to take a photo).

Definitely a home brewer trait. :mug:

When you make sure to keep enough, barely, hops, and yeast on hand to brew on a moments notice.

I never Know when an extra brew chance is gonna pop up and I like being prepared! :mug:

pb

I keep lots of barley, hops and yeast on hand. About 100lbs, 45oz, 140g (dry). Because my LHBS is very small, and 25 minutes away. Plus, it's cheaper to buy in bulk.

I keep lots of barley, hops and yeast on hand. About 100lbs, 45oz, 140g (dry). Because my LHBS is very small, and 25 minutes away. Plus, it's cheaper to buy in bulk.

I'm down to about 75lbs barley, less than 3lbs hops, and only enough yeast for 3 more 10gal batches. Getting nervous. :eek:

pb

You know you're a homebrewer when...

You spend a weekend attempting to isolate a yeast strain from the wild grape growing outside your window, just to see what would happen.

How can you tell a wine yeast from an ale yeast?

No clue. At the moment I've just got it working as a starter on my stir plate, then I'm going to put it into a mini-batch of wort and see what happens. If it doesn't smell like garbage I guess I'll taste it and go from there...

When you continually adjust recipes you already love, because you never know when you will find that one magic ingredient that truly perfects it

When you tell yourself that temperature control is your next investment but find yourself buying that cooler at the home improvement store that went on sale anyway...

Latest posts

Back