kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
i've been reading that kegging is easier then bottling just had a couple questions on the process. first one is, how long do you have to wait to be able to drink your HB after kegging? second, how do you actually force carbonate? since your not doing a natural carbonation. and third, does anyone know of a place in the houston area where i can pick up a cheap used carny keg?

do appolagize if the questions are repost.

prost :mug:

gumby

Well, kegging is definitely easier than bottling! You can force carb it in one day if you need to, but I'm learning (slowly!) that just because it's carbed doesn't mean it's conditioned! Just like bottled beer, it improves with a little age. To force carb, all you do is use co2 and hook it up and wait. Some people like to have it turned up pretty high (because it'll work faster) for one day, others just set it at a lower pressure (maybe 12 psi) and wait a week.

I bought my kegging gear from kegconnection.com. I bought extra kegs from the classifieds area here on HBT, so I don't know where you can find them locally. I think I paid about $20 each for my last four.

Dont mean to high jack a thread,,
but I am also considering moving up to kegging.
My conserns are about storage. My current cycle works OK.. ( primary-secondary- bottles priming- bottles drinking), so I try to always have something to drink.
So here are a couple questions.
how long can cornys be keep without charging? and if you carbonate do you have to refrigerate imediatly.
I plan on buying or coverting a kegerator eventually, but it would be a two corny max/co2 inside

thanks
JB

It is a lot easier for CO2 to disolve in cold solution so it is better to have the beer cold in a keg prior to charging with CO2. Go here to see temperature and pressure settings:

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html

As far as kegs keeping: As long as you sanitize properly and seal the keg they will keep for quite a long time. It would be the same as having the been in bottles but it would be in one large container. I waited a while also to start kegging until I came across a frig. to store my kegs. I really wanted to start without a frig. but didn't want to deal with high CO2 pressures for carbing and then drinking warm beer.

Well, I now have 7 kegs, but only two taps! So, you can condition your kegs at room temperature just like when you bottle. You can add priming sugar (just like bottling) or you can wait and force carb. I've done both.

The thing I learned is to fill the keg, and hit it with a blast of co2. That helps to seal/seat the lid. Then purge it, and do it again. That way, the oxygen is removed, and the co2 protects it and helps ensure it's sealed until you're ready to use it. Then, I set them next to the kegerator and just wait until it's time to move it into the kegerator. I could move them into the basement for long term storage, but we're going through them pretty fast. I have plenty of room by the kegerator, so I haven't had to store any anyplace else.
Works great!

I'm looking at picking up a half dozen extra kegs for long term conditioning and storage. Purchased used, they are about the same price as a new glass carboy, but can be blanketed with co2 and conditioned for a while without me worrying about oxygen getting at the aging beer or having to protect the carboys from sunlight.

Plus the handles on the corneys come in handy for moving them around. Broken gas and 5 gallons of ruined beer is nobody's friend.

alright thanks for the replies do still have one question that popped up after reading your post about adding priming sugar. since you said you don't need to add priming sugar, if i do decide to not add it when i brew the wort would i add the sugar that i would use for priming in at this time?

gumby1220 said:
also what do you guys think about this kegerator kit is this a good deal or is there some place else i can get one cheaper http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/ehk.shtml

For new stuff their pretty cheap, just don't be in a hurry, I ordered a kit through them and a week later it still didn't ship. I canceled my order and went through micromatic, way better quality and I received my order in three days. But more expensive.

wildwest450 said:
For new stuff their pretty cheap, just don't be in a hurry, I ordered a kit through them and a week later it still didn't ship. I canceled my order and went through micromatic, way better quality and I received my order in three days. But more expensive.

Same thing happened to me, ordered a kegging kit. Took a while ship, when i got the box i opened it up and my kegging "kit" consisted of 2 ball locks, a regulator and some hose. I immediately called them up and demanded they over night the forgotten tower, faucets etc (how can you forget the tower in a kegerator kit!?) They finally agreed to 2 day it to me. It sure did suck coming home all ready to finish the kegerator and opening the box to find no tower.

-Matt

alright but they did send everything to you though? i'm not in a hurry just wanting to save money

gumby1220 said:
alright thanks for the replies do still have one question that popped up after reading your post about adding priming sugar. since you said you don't need to add priming sugar, if i do decide to not add it when i brew the wort would i add the sugar that i would use for priming in at this time?

No - although you could if you want. Are you brewing kits and want to use up the little package of dextrose for priming? It won't affect the flavour and will add a miniscule amount of alcohol if you do.

GT

ahh ha ok so unless you really want to get messed up drinking a HB don't add more sugar to the brew, but i can still prime with no prob. right?

to answer your question about the kits yes my first batch is a kit but i am bottling it in a week when its readyand will be priming but plan on going with recipes after this

I have ordered from kegconnection and have been impressed with the quality of the equipment. You can also call them and talk to them if you are concerned. Their prices are also pretty competitive.

The priming sugar adds about 2 points (.002) to the OG and if you are using sugar ferments out completely. It has next to no affect on the beer except to carbonate it when enclosed in a keg or bottle.
If you plan on force carbonating then just skip the priming sugar and save it for something else. If you have limited space in your kegerator or just want to naturally carbonate you can add it to the keg before sealing the keg.
Once sealed properly the keg should last as long as a sealed bottle. Most normal beers will be good for 6months to a year and big beers can last for several years.

Craig

CBBaron said:
The priming sugar adds about 2 points (.002) to the OG and if you are using sugar ferments out completely. It has next to no affect on the beer except to carbonate it when enclosed in a keg or bottle.
If you plan on force carbonating then just skip the priming sugar and save it for something else. If you have limited space in your kegerator or just want to naturally carbonate you can add it to the keg before sealing the keg.
Once sealed properly the keg should last as long as a sealed bottle. Most normal beers will be good for 6months to a year and big beers can last for several years.

Craig

thank you for the post cleared m questions up perfectly.
although i do have one more. if your force carb you have to seal the keg before adding the beer? if so how would you get the beer in the keg if its sealled

dudes i had a great experience with beveragefactory.com i guess you guys were exceptions to their service, but i ordered late tuesday night and recived my kit early this morning now all i need to do is start converting my mini fridge so it'll be ready just in time for my new batch to be bottled/kegged

the kit i got was the economic kit along with the 5lbs co2 tank for an extra $50
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/ehk.shtml

Back