Gravity contribution for Flour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to do an exprerimental beer soon and am trying to find the gravity contribution of wheat and rye flour. Promash doesn't have either listed as an ingredient choice. I think the best fit is white wheat (1.040/lb).

I'm going to bake a couple loaves of a Swedish rye bread I have a recipe for and then process them to crumbs and mash them. I figured I would just put the ingredients for the bread (inlcuding molasses which is listed) in the Promash recipe and add the 6-row I need for conversion and then top off to the OG I want with pale, probably a bit of crystal, maybe some honey malt.

So does anybody have a clue to the gravity contribution of flour so I can make a custom ingredient in Promash? Also any other thoughts for specialty grains to include? Maybe some Special B to complement the rummy notes from the molasses (so I've read, I've never used molasses in a beer). The bread is basically white and rye flour plus molasses.

pjj2ba said:
I'm going to do an exprerimental beer soon and am trying to find the gravity contribution of wheat and rye flour. Promash doesn't have either listed as an ingredient choice. I think the best fit is white wheat (1.040/lb).

I'm going to bake a couple loaves of a Swedish rye bread I have a recipe for and then process them to crumbs and mash them. I figured I would just put the ingredients for the bread (inlcuding molasses which is listed) in the Promash recipe and add the 6-row I need for conversion and then top off to the OG I want with pale, probably a bit of crystal, maybe some honey malt.

So does anybody have a clue to the gravity contribution of flour so I can make a custom ingredient in Promash? Also any other thoughts for specialty grains to include? Maybe some Special B to complement the rummy notes from the molasses (so I've read, I've never used molasses in a beer). The bread is basically white and rye flour plus molasses.

Wheat flour: 1.038
Rye flour: 1.036
molasses: 1.036

This is sooo cool dude, brewing like the Sumarians. Keep us posted, OK? Cheers....:)

Iordz said:
Why do you want to know the gravity contributed by flour, are you planning to make Kvass?

Sort of a Kvass. My understanding is that a true Kvass is brewed with just bread. I'm looking to supplement a standard AG recipe with a couple loaves of baked bread.

Old Farmer, thanks for the data.

The baked bread should convert fairly well, especially since I'm planning on using some 6-row. I'll also add some rice hulls just in case, but with my tun, I can mash a 50% wheat grain bill, with no rice hulls, and have no danger of a stuck sparge.

Back