Critique my Lemon Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisluggo

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Let me know what you think:

5# of Pilsen DME

Specialty Grains:20 minute steep.
.5# Honey malt
.5# Belgium biscuit

.5oz of glacier hops 60 minutes
.5oz of glacier 10 minutes

1 oz of crushed/sliced ginger at the last 5 minutes of boil

The zest of three lemons soaked in vodka, added one week prior to bottling.

The hop choice is what I am up in the air about, thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

I think another good option for the hops would be Pacifica. Personally I would up the ginger to 2-3 ounces and dry hop it lightly. What kind of yeast?

2 or 3 oz of ginger would be too much, IMO. I've used ginger in 2 of my brews, .5 oz on APA and 1 oz on a porter and it was noticiable and pleasant but not overkill.

I was thinking of using some of my wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale. It is a saison strain, but it does ferment well in lower temps. We may also decide to bump the fermentation temp using a water bath and an aquarium heater. I thought the spicy fermentation temps may play nicely with the spiciness of the ginger.

I have used wyeast 1056 for the past three batches, just wanted something different.

Well, we brewed yesterday. Everything went fine, and we used the wyeast 3726 and the carboy is sitting in a hot water bath at 80 degrees. Fermentation started 10 hours post brewing.

Back