FG Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
To me, it looks like FG was achieved. Is this correct?

image-2864817106.jpg

image-2042913980.jpg

Most likely. Mine settled at 1.015. To be sure, you may want to take a second reading in 3 days. If it is unchanged, then it is done.

One of the first ones I did to get started and finished at 1.016. It was a little sweet but mellowed with time. Great beer. I've done variations of this recipe a few times.

Mine ended up high as well, 1.020 but I was .05 higher than originally expected. Just kegged it tonite and the test jar tasted great.
I used the Danster Windsor yeast. What about everyone else? I've read it doesn't always attenuate well.

i've made CS with windsor and nottingham. i like drier beers, so notty was better for me, and it ended at 1.012, if i remember right. the windsor was 1.015 or 16. both ag. windsor is known for it's average to low attenuation

Beer-lord said:
Mine ended up high as well, 1.020 but I was .05 higher than originally expected. Just kegged it tonite and the test jar tasted great.
I used the Danster Windsor yeast. What about everyone else? I've read it doesn't always attenuate well.

I also used the Windsor. I have mixed feelings about it still. I can't even decide if I liked it or not.

I just brewed this about 9 days ago. I checked and it was 1.020.
Will it come down more?
I used the Wyeast packet...

Whichever one was called for in the kit, I just printed the instructions and went to my local brewer and picked up the supplies...

oh yes #1332 Northwest Ale yeast. Extract version of the kit. started at 1.052 OG.

One of the best things I have learned about brewing is patience. When I started brewing I was in such a hurry to get beer I bottled it as soon as the gravity was stable. But now even though an OG like 1.052 prob wont change after about the first two weeks, I leave the beer for another week at least to let the yeast clean up the "off flavors". I have learned that from some of the "elders" on here. On one of my of recent batches I decided to taste it at two weeks and do a gravity test just to be curious and it tasted so weird I thought I was going to have to dump it. I even posted a question about it on here. I just left it for another week and then for the 4th week I cold crashed it. At the time of bottling/kegging it tasted great so it will only get better from here!

Yeah that is pretty low attenuation but it could be done. Only way to tell is unchanging gravity readings 3 days apart. I'd take another reading in a few days and if it's unchanged, it is likely done fermenting. I would still leave it another week to clear it up and let the yeast clean up their byproducts.

I figured I would wait at least two more weeks in the Primary, I would like to cold crash if possible. whats a good easy way to do this? how cold does it have to be? will it kill the yeast?

then bottle and let it sit for a couple more weeks...

I used the dry yeast that came with the kit, Danstar Windsor. I ended at .1014 after 3 weeks in the primary. bottled for 3 more and I Love this beer!

I figured I would wait at least two more weeks in the Primary, I would like to cold crash if possible. whats a good easy way to do this? how cold does it have to be? will it kill the yeast?

then bottle and let it sit for a couple more weeks...

I wouldn't cold crash if I was bottling. You want a little yeast to take care of the priming sugar and carbonate your bottles. However, if you do cold crash one day when you decide to keg your beer, here's how I do it: If you have a kegerator, stick the carboy in there and crash at kegging temp. Usually around 35-38* F. It won't "kill" the yest, but rather cause it to flocculate (settle out in the bottom). That way when you pull your beer from the faucet you won't get a bunch of yeast/sediment (except maybe in the first pint).

I wouldn't cold crash if I was bottling. You want a little yeast to take care of the priming sugar and carbonate your bottles. However, if you do cold crash one day when you decide to keg your beer, here's how I do it: If you have a kegerator, stick the carboy in there and crash at kegging temp. Usually around 35-38* F. It won't "kill" the yest, but rather cause it to flocculate (settle out in the bottom). That way when you pull your beer from the faucet you won't get a bunch of yeast/sediment (except maybe in the first pint).

Oh Ok, so i cant CC if i am bottling , only kegging. Thanks, Yes someday I will have to get into that.. :)

Oh Ok, so i cant CC if i am bottling , only kegging. Thanks, Yes someday I will have to get into that.. :)

IMO, kegging is the way to go if you're drinking at home. Not as difficult or involved as bottling, just need an extra fridge (Craigslist). If you want to share with your friends, just invite them over OR get a growler and distribute. There's no greater feeling than being able to have your own homebrew on tap whenever you want it. Especially if it's good! :mug:

I use dry yeast when I make this now for some reason the liquid just doesn't bring the fg down enough. At two weeks after bottle it tasted a little like root beer With a hop finish. By week four it mellowed and was just like a Newcastle but more body and a tad sweeter.

IMO, kegging is the way to go if you're drinking at home. Not as difficult or involved as bottling, just need an extra fridge (Craigslist). If you want to share with your friends, just invite them over OR get a growler and distribute. There's no greater feeling than being able to have your own homebrew on tap whenever you want it. Especially if it's good! :mug:

I would love to, but am a bit confused as to how it all works. I am going to someday thats for sure!

FWIW, many people cold crash before they bottle. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer, it just might take a bit longer.

FWIW, many people cold crash before they bottle. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer, it just might take a bit longer.

I think that quote is correct. I would assume the yeast would reanimate once you stir things up from the racking procedure and warm up again to bottling temps. People save yeast from previous batches and store it in the fridge and liquid yeast is always stored cold when you buy it.

Latest posts

Back