how to get what i want outta my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreese

Reaction score
I just started fermenting my fiirst batch and I'm trying to start my next one asap... I want to ?aybe add something to give it a hint of something maybe tangerine or something along those lines only a hint though I don't wanna flavor it any suggestions?

Fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that I mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Cheers :mug:

fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that i mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

+1

If you're looking for a fresh citrus flavor, I would recommend using some orange and/or lemon zest at the end of the boil - this gives a really nice aroma and flavor. Also, many hops will give you that sort of citrusy note as well - Amarillo comes to mind immediately. Cascade, Citra, Centennial and others are excellent added late and/or dry hopped.

Fruit can be a difficult thing in beer. By that I mean, too much and that will be all that you taste, too little and you wont taste it at all. I've made a several batches (one with apples and 2 with blueberries). I find the best method is to use whole fruit for a week or so in the secondary and then once it's done, taste and add a little bit of extract to get the flavor that you want. Hope this helps.

Ok cool thanks I don't really know a whole lot about brewing could you explain more about the whole fruit in the secondary? Does that mean you litterally peel the fruit and let it sit in the container with the beer during the secondary fermentation?

When I do secondaries on the odd occasion I use Corny kegs. The last fruit beer was a blueberry porter. I used 2lbs of fresh/smashed blueberries for about 10 days. The were wrapped in cheese cloth. I still had to add about an ounce of extract.

Why don't you try summit hops they have a tangerine aroma/flavor orden just so me tangerine zest or both

Why don't you try summit hops they have a tangerine aroma/flavor orden just so me tangerine zest or both

You need to be careful with Summit hops. Instead of tangerine you can get onion and garlic flavors - not sure if it is related to the specific batches/years or how much you use or when you use them. I tried them in an APA a couple of years back and had onion beer instead - the only beer I ever dumped (after giving it plenty of time in the bottles to see if it would age out). I think Summit can be good, but I would suggest making sure you like the way they smell raw, before putting them in the boil. If you don't, don't use them.

I still think you should go with the zest of some lemons and oranges - I suppose tangerine, though I've never tried that - and some citrusy American hops.

JLem said:
You need to be careful with Summit hops. Instead of tangerine you can get onion and garlic flavors - not sure if it is related to the specific batches/years or how much you use or when you use them. I tried them in an APA a couple of years back and had onion beer instead - the only beer I ever dumped (after giving it plenty of time in the bottles to see if it would age out). I think Summit can be good, but I would suggest making sure you like the way they smell raw, before putting them in the boil. If you don't, don't use them.

I still think you should go with the zest of some lemons and oranges - I suppose tangerine, though I've never tried that - and some citrusy American hops.

I heard about te onion/garlic issue described from some homebrewers using summit hops A few friends of mine have try them without any problems and i have an all late hop summit APA that smells great in secondary.

My ipa used an ounce bittering summit,all hydro samples tasted onion/garlicy.after the 4th week in bottles i get tangerine slap in the face.All this summit bashing is bs imo.It came to be a go to hop for me.

My ipa used an ounce bittering summit,all hydro samples tasted onion/garlicy.after the 4th week in bottles i get tangerine slap in the face.All this summit bashing is bs imo.It came to be a go to hop for me.

It's not BS - I used Summit and got strong onion and garlic and never the tangerine - even after months in the bottle. Others have too. Like I said, I think it is batch specific and I think Summit CAN be a great hop. You just need to be aware of the potential issues. Perhaps the newer crops are less onion-y.

I'm hesitant to use them again since I got burned once, but if I were to use them again I would make sure they smelled good before I added them. If I open a package of Summit and I get even the hint of onion I would toss them in the trash, not in my beer. If I got tangerine, I'd use them in the beer.

Latest posts

Back