Good wort...general recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you extract, partial mash or all-grain?

If you're extract you can build a nice beer out of 5 pounds extra light Dry Malt extract...It'll net you a starting grav of 1.045.

Add some steeping grains of any type, and whatever hops you like...

I built my basic amber ale from 6 pounds of xtra light, and some crystal. (I don't have the recipe handy, so I can't tell you the amount or lovibond of the crystal)

Extralight dme is a great base to start building from...you get your color, and flavor complexity from your steeping grainbill, and your choice of hops...

For example, here's my Ginger Orange Dortmunder...and how I built it from the extra light DME base.

7# X-Light Dry Malt Extract
1# American Crystal 30L
8oz Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt

hops
60 1.0 Hallertau pellet 4.2
60 1.0 Northern Brewer pellet 6.6
20 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.8
0-5 1.0 Cascade pellet 5.8

Add approximately 2 ounces of Orange peels (I used a mixture of orange and clementines-the clementines smelled more "orangy"), one ounce of gingerroot (I used a potato peeler), and 2 whole cloves in a hopsack @ 15 minute. At flameout ad danother hopsack with 2 ounce of peels, 1 ounce gingeroot and 1 clove. Add half cup of orange juice boiled for 15 minutes when racking to secondary. Great summer brew...

1.071 (1.063 to 1.074)
Final Gravity
1.018 (1.015 to 1.019)
Color
9° SRM
(Gold to Copper)
10.8 HBU
44.9 IBU (Corrected for 3 gallon boil)
7.1% A.B.V.

If you don't already have a brewing software program beercalculus is a nice online program to use, you can then store your recipes on their sister site hopville.

http://beercalculus.com/recipe

I was the one who had the creator add xtra light dme to his ingredient list.

Really? What's the percentage of barley to wheat in your hefe's?

(I really dislike wheat beers so know nearly nothing about them...I didn't think they contained much if any barley...)
I believe the Munton's is 60/40.

I've done many experiments and even went as low as 2 lbs of Wheat DME and 4 lbs of extra light DME for a batch of weizen. It tasted somewhat like a very light weizen because the yeast still fermented as if it were a weizen.

I don't recommend it with a weizen yeast, but it would work fine as an ale recipe and regular ale yeast. The wheat will add to head retention.

Narrator: In A.D. 2101, war was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's you !!
CATS: How are you gentlemen !!
CATS: All your base are belong to us.
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha Ha Ha Ha ....
Operator: Captain!! *
Captain: Take off every 'ZIG' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'ZIG'.
Captain: For great justice

Back