putting a chalk board on a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So, I thought it might work well to use that paintable chalkboard paint on a corny, so you could write the keg date and beer name/style on it.

I know some guys put those plastic paper sleeves onto their keg, so this is just an alternative.

I'm in the process right now on my test keg, but basically I taped off a rectangle, then applied 2 thin coats of primer, and then will apply several coats of the chalkboard stuff. keg was pre-cleaned, and both primer and final coat are rattle can ($4 for a rattle can vs. $11 for brush on chalkboard paint).

Pictures will come later today.

As a tip -- you can make any color chalkboard paint you want by adding 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout to a cup of regular old latex interior wall paint. Mix very well, paint, let dry and sand w/ 600 grit to a smooth finish.

SWMBO and I put a big chalkboard/grocery list in our kitchen this way. Works great.

Or you can just write on the side of the keg with a sharpie, comes off very easily with a little isopropal alcohol.

Cheers

malkore said:
Jeez you guys are ruining my fun :p

Its sad but true. What I've been doing is making labels on my P-touch. They seems to be able to stay as long as I want but they're not as big as I'd ideally like...

I use avery name tag labels. Print them up and slap them to the side of the keg.
Sometimes I make little labels and sometimes just type up the name and basic facts.

I like your thinking malkore...

Problem is, it just doesn't fit my profile... :D

Filled_Kegs.JPG

Make sure you get that primer as smooth as possible. Maybe a little sanding would help. We put chalkboard paint on an old kegerator, and it worked fine until it came time to erase it. Any grooves/texture in the surface will hold the chalk, so you have to really douse it with water to wash it out. Our problem was mainly the underlying texture from the fridge surface, so maybe you'll be fine on shiny kegs.

The real issue for me is that most of my kegs are in the chest freezer so I need my label on the top. That's why I put some white masking/artist tape on the top hand and write on it. Simple. Now, if I'm out serving with my portable setup, I'll make up a nice label and clip it on.

I use the blue painters tape. I run it under the bail and back on itself. Comes off real easy and provides what I need to know when looking down in the keezer.

6KegsOnGas.jpg

When I get around to building a keezer, I'm thinking of finding some cheap luggage tags. Attach them to the bail and print info on business card stock and slide in. I would do like Ed's idea, but my handwriting sux....:(

I make labels (4x6) on plan paper then laminate it so that if it gets wet it wont hurt it. Then tie it to the handle of the keg with some string.
79817693-MVC-677F.JPG

I also have some magnetic picture holders I got from hobby lobby and stick the labels to the top of my chest freezer so I know what brew is in there without opening it.
710449194-MVC-675F.JPG

I can only jam 3 kegs in my freezer, and I have clear lines so once its inside, its no big deal. But I'm planning on snagging 4 more kegs since I heard prices are only going up, and will do a bit of bulk aging in those.

The surface looks pretty good right now, but I think I wanna do one more light coat tomorrow. Then I'll peel the tap and show the finished product.

Luggage tags are great. Start them on the fermenter & just track the batch through to the kegger.

YOU guys & HBT are da bomb! :rolleyes:

Here's a post that is 5 years old and I'm still learning stuff you shared.

1) Chalk Board Paint comes in an aerosol can????!!!!! I can just spray it on my keezer & let my 10 year old daughter go nuts with colored sidewalk chalk!? :fro: We have a 3 years supply of big chalk! Grandma just gave her more for Easter! :p

IMG_0011.JPG

2) Blue Tape can be used to list what's in dem kegs?!. No more guesswork 2 months down the road. If I don't write it down, I'll never remember it.

3) The search function really does work & can give you a wealth of information.

4) The vendors on HBT saved me over $100 just last week.

This became a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN again for me. Thank you guys! :rockin:

if you use the chalkboard pens they dont wipe off as easily, so condensation wouldnt be an issue,

I just use a post-it and clamp it in place using the clamp corny lid. It won't move until the keg is empty and I open it for cleaning. Since I usually have a couple sitting in my brew room priming, I always put my label in place when I rack from the carboy

Back