Filtering from secondary to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfoneill

Reaction score
I brewed a Blueberry Ale and there is still bits and pieces of blueberry in the secondary. What can I do to filter these particles out when transferring to the bottling bucket as I don't want any of this in the bottles.:mug:

You could put a grain bag over the end of your racking cane (the end that goes into the secondary). I've done that when I've been transferring out of a dry-hop carboy (although it's difficult to get it into the carboy if it's a larger one). You could probably manufacture something similar that has less overall mass and zip-tie it to the racking cane or something.

Failing that, you could rack over a strainer into your bottling bucket. I've done that as well, just be careful to get the stream going down the side of the bucket to avoid (being ridiculed for risking) oxidation during the transfer. :)

Depending how much is in there floating around I have used a hop sock tied to the end of my hose in the bottling bucket. You need to be very careful though not to get air in the beer or it will taste bad.

And while some here do not advocate it I gently stir after it is in the bucket to thoroughly mix the sugar in.

Depending how much is in there floating around I have used a hop sock tied to the end of my hose in the bottling bucket. You need to be very careful though not to get air in the beer or it will taste bad.

And while some here do not advocate it I gently stir after it is in the bucket to thoroughly mix the sugar in.

I stir as well, because I don't calculate and add my priming sugar solution until after I'm all transferred so I know what my bottling volume is minus whatever I end up leaving behind.

Also, if you're using an auto-siphon with a little piece of plastic in the end that acts as a filter, it might get clogged up. I've almost given up on the auto-siphon because of that and a couple of other minor annoyances, but it's not a problem if you're aware of it.

I usually add priming sugar to bottling bucket and then transfer from secondary seems to mix well that way. Thanks for all the feedback. Now how long if any do I soak the hop sock in sanitizer??

I usually add priming sugar to bottling bucket and then transfer from secondary seems to mix well that way. Thanks for all the feedback. Now how long if any do I soak the hop sock in sanitizer??

If it's Star-San, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/star-san-contact-time-12336/

I would prefer to rack onto my priming solution, but I rack from primary so I have a variable amount of sediment, dry hops, etc. that I need to account for, so I wait and measure after I have my final volume.

Back