getting an oil stain off concrete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a gigantic, enormous oil stain on my driveway. It's been there for several weeks. It's rough textured concrete.

I'd like to draw on the collective wisdom of this group to help me remove the thing.

I've been searching around the web for tips and I've found a lot of tips; some common tips, some conflicting tips.

You guys (and gals) are smart and resourceful. What do YOU suggest.

-walker

I've heard that a can of disc-brake cleaner works wonders for exactly that. You may just want to spread oil over the rest of the driveway and go for that asphalt look...

Dilute muriatic acid will take it out. If you have an Oreck store around, they have a product that is said to do the job. I have used the Oreck product, and it worked well, but Ive only used it on fresh spills.

If you use the acid make sure to dilute it as per the instructions.

- magno

BTW:
http://www.oreck.com/customer-service/store-locator/
Oreck Floor Care Center
245 Crossroads Blvd.
Cary, NC 27511
(919) 233-0804

Chairman Cheyco said:
Won't acid eat the concrete?

It will etch it, but not ruin it. I used to work for a paving stone manufacturer and that's what they use for really nasty stains. You'll never get ALL of it out, but you'll be able to reduce it quite a bit.

Just rinse it really well when you're done scrubbing

Chairman Cheyco said:
Won't acid eat the concrete?

I saw a couple suggestions to use muratic acid, but along with those were instructions that you can destroy the concrete relatively easily.

In order of preference, I was thinking of trying:

soap
gas/kerosene/other solvent
acid (absolute last resort)

I was going to just post to use some cheap kitty litter to absorb the oil- that's what my family members have done in their garage- but now I sound like a moron compared to the intelligent responses you received! But my uncle and aunt, who never, EVER, owned a cat, put kitty litter on any oil or gas spills on the concrete, let it sit for a while, and swept it up. It didn't do a fantastic job, but it did help pull up the oil, and keep the garage floor pristine.

Lorena

Well, try the brake cleaner then. You could also try some electrical contact cleaner, but that stuff gets pretty expensive. There are also plenty of citrus-based oil solvents which work a treat, and they taste great!

I've used dilute muriatic. Pool stores also sell it. It can be a little tricky getting the concentration right. Better to error on the too dilute side. It is also a good idea to put down a sealer afterwards, says the guy with the ATF stains on his 9-month old garage floor. [I just didn't expect a one year old vehicle to have leaks. Silly me, I was waiting for warmer weather to put down the sealer.]

If it's wet oil you can use the kitty litter first. Wear boots and with a twisting motion on the ball of your foot/boot to crush the litter, or you can crush/pulverize it first into a course powder to absorb most of the liquid then sweep it up.

Follow up with: wet driveway with a bucket of water and with a stiff scrub brush scrub stain with straight Dawn dishwashing liquid then use a pressure washer (aiming toward the street).;) :D

Yooper Chick said:
I was going to just post to use some cheap kitty litter to absorb the oil- that's what my family members have done in their garage- but now I sound like a moron compared to the intelligent responses you received! But my uncle and aunt, who never, EVER, owned a cat, put kitty litter on any oil or gas spills on the concrete, let it sit for a while, and swept it up. It didn't do a fantastic job, but it did help pull up the oil, and keep the garage floor pristine.

Lorena

Not a stupid suggestion at all. In fact, I should have mentioned that I *already* have kitty litter spread all over it. I didn't grind it up like Bill suggested, but I did buy the finest grain litter that I could get.

I was looking for what to do with what remains after the litter is removed. :)

Pumbaa said:
UGL Drylok Concrete Cleaner & Degreaser
http://discountpaint.net/html/Manufacture%27s%20List/UGL.htm

I had a car that leaked oil in the same spot in my driveway for 3+ years, used hat stuff on the spot and you cant even tell there was ever a car parked there

Well.. that might be what I am looking for.

I'll probably do another dusting with litter (grinding it up finer) and attack it with soap and a scrub brush. If it needs more attention, I'll try that stuff. Last resort will be flammable items and acid.

Thanks folks!

You can use vinegar and baking soda on the stain. Let it be there for 15-30 minutes. Then use warm water and rub the place. I hope you will get the result.

Apropos of nothing. Happy Friday!

giphy.gif

I think this is the oldest necro thread revival ive ever seen, over ten years. Arturo7 yes that was a trip!

Holy necropost Batman!

Trip down memory lane with those names and avatars.

What I don't understand is that @johnbrown86 -- who revived the necropost, joined our little community 2 days ago. He has posted 7 times to date, all on concrete-related matters. Usually reviving very old posts.

All of his posts have been on-topic and don't appear to be computer-generated. So if the account is a bot, it's a darn good one. And his posts have all been helpful, so it is clearly not a troll account.

But I'm confused and intrigued. Is @johnbrown86 a homebrewer who joined, didn't have anything relevant to brewing-related threads, but happens to have concrete knowledge and decided to help out? Is he a non-brewing good samaritan who just goes around to forums throughout the internet helping people with concrete problems?

It's a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, surrounded by a conundrum!!!

What I don't understand is that @johnbrown86 -- who revived the necropost, joined our little community 2 days ago. He has posted 7 times to date, all on concrete-related matters. Usually reviving very old posts.

All of his posts have been on-topic and don't appear to be computer-generated. So if the account is a bot, it's a darn good one. And his posts have all been helpful, so it is clearly not a troll account.

But I'm confused and intrigued. Is @johnbrown86 a homebrewer who joined, didn't have anything relevant to brewing-related threads, but happens to have concrete knowledge and decided to help out? Is he a non-brewing good samaritan who just goes around to forums throughout the internet helping people with concrete problems?

It's a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, surrounded by a conundrum!!!

I wondering about that myself.

johnbrown86 the Concrete Crusader!

OT: How goes your smoke today?

OT: How goes your smoke today?

Going well... 4 boneless pork shoulders from Costco for a total of 31# of meat. Got everything on the smoker about 8:30 AM. Currently rolling a little over 300 degrees, powered through the stall and currently at 174 deg IT. Still 4 hours until dinner, so I should comfortably get it done.

Back