Stoner bands vs. redneck bands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
What rock bands are really good to listen to when you have been exposed to a little of the hop plant's cousin? Which bands sound worse?

For me the biggest one was Ted Nugent back in the 70's. Ordinarily, his music was just "ok" for me, but partake of a little of a certain herb and.... "wow, holy sh*t, man, I never heard that in that song before!"

Cheap trick was a little like that, too. Listen to them straight and they were pretty good, but get a little stoned, and whooom! They were pretty cool, then.

shoot! I'd have to say pretty much all music sounds better under the influence.

my personal favorite when I'm a little stoney is Toots and the maytals. they sound awesome sober and there is something about Reggae that sounds good when you're a little f'ed up.

Robin Trower, Procol Harum. How about Too Rolling Stoned and Bridge of Sighs from the Bridge of Sighs album?

I thought this thread was going to be about which band type is better in which I was going to say why not both combined ala Nashville *****.

No it is not the only way you can listen to the Grateful Dead...lol. I love the Dead..even stone cold sober. An accompaniment I like when partaking is some Oscar Peterson. That man can hit the Ivory's like no other!!

fry3-full.jpg

So I am important? The way I feel when i'm drunk is correct?

nibbler_whyfry.gif

Yes, except the dave mathews band does not rock.

Well, I like Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin, and some Steve Miller, but I've never been stoned. I'd probably have to be stoned before listening to Grateful Dead, though. They just don't do anything at all for me.

Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show (Pre-bankrupcy) were always great live because they were always more stoned themselves than any member of the audience.

I was well stoned when I first heard Pink Floyd's "Animals"..... I ruined the experience for everyone else though by opening the back door and yelling at the neighbours to shut their f*cking dogs up. :eek:

Give me some Steely Dan any day. I'll also take anything modal: Herbie Hancock of a certain vintage, same with Miles, certain Bill Evans albums also blow my mind at times.

Bela Fleck kicks a$$, Widespread Panic, Hendrix, too many to list. Best shows to see now would be Ratdog, Dark Star Orchestra, Phil Lesh and Friends.

The best show ever was the J. Geils band, and I saw all the 70's bands except for the 2 cancelled Zeppelin shows. Just behind was the Dead (also a stoner listen) and Zappa( don't do acid and go to a Zappa show). Well since he's dead I guess you can't(your lose)

Blue Oyster Cult(before the light show was banned), David Bowie, Rush and ELP were great shows and excellent to listen to.

Also B.B. King, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker are great when wasted;)

Saw Mew earlier this year straight but their wall of video light show would've been awesome under the influence!

Now that I think about it iamaguitargod makes exactly the right kinda music for being mellow! Now where is that post he threw up here?

Im a DMB kinda guy, and I always appreciate a little bit of Pink Floyd....as a matter of fact its great study music.

shoot! I'd have to say pretty much all music sounds better under the influence.

my personal favorite when I'm a little stoney is Toots and the maytals. they sound awesome sober and there is something about Reggae that sounds good when you're a little f'ed up.

I saw Toots a few months back. Chill ass show. I love reggae and all the reggae influenced bands like Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, Pepper etc.

Back