Brain Transplant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading my equipment for about the 4th time. My wife thinks I need a brain transplant and maybe she is right. Anyway, since I switched to to all grain brewing I want to upgrade my 71/2 gallon enamel steel brewing pot to a 10 or 12 gal SS pot with a spigot and handles. A Polar Ware 10 gal pot costs about $200. Any suggestions on a cheaper one

I started out with a $50.00 Beginners kit and that kept me happy for a month or two. And then of course I had to have corboys and a wort chiller, then a 5gal pot then a 71/2 enamel pot. Next came a Corona grinder then a Barley Crusher numerous plastic buckets from Dunkin Donuts also several Igloo and Rubbermaid coolers. My wife wants to know what's next a brew house in the back yard and maybe conicals or what. My basement looks like a junk yard. Is this normal or do I really need a brain transplant?

Any help from you guys regarding My obsession for a SS pot? If not any good MD for the tyransplant?

davidkrau said:
A Polar Ware 10 gal pot costs about $200. Any suggestions on a cheaper one
For about the same price...maybe even $50 less if you hit the hardware store, you can have a 15.5 gallon Sabco keggle, and never have to worry about upgrading your pot again.

The converted keg is a much better deal. A Universal Kettle is $100 and a ball valve will cost you $10 at Home Depot. You can plug the extra port for now and get a sight tube/thermometer later on.

Prosit!

I don't have a 3 tier setup. What I've been doing is 5 gal brews. I heat the water for the masm and sparge on the kitchen stove. I do the mash and sparging in ther kitchen. The wort goes into my 71/2 gak enamel steel pot. I then take the wort to my porch where I do the boil with a propane cooker. I then take the boiling wort to my kitchen counter where I cool it dowm with a wort cooler, hooked up to the kitchen faucet, Measure the volume. take the SG, siphon into a 61/2 corboy pitch the yeast and I'm done.

I've been leery about converted kegs. They look like they weigh a ton and don't have handles. I'll be 71 next month and doubt if I could carry a keg full of boiling wort from my porch to my kitchen holding it from the bottom with pot holders.

Back