Support our Troops Help Them Vote...(longish rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am SOOO pissed off at my Government. (mods move this to debate if you want but if it is a debate, I will ignore it)

I wrote a few senators, wrote a blog on myspace, and sent a message to the chair of the senate armed services subcommittee....And will probably do more before I calm down...

Once again our troops get the shaft :mad:

Whether or not you agree with the war, whether or not you are a DEM or Rep, I think after you wade through this, I'm sure you'll be stoked too...

My God, you mean to tell me that the very people who are defending our right to vote AND support free and democratic elections in Iraq and Afghanistan have to jump through fiery hoops if they want to vote themselves???

Here's the blog I wrote, it is a wee bit long.

Did you know that it is easier for an astronaut on the international space station to cast a vote in the upcoming presidential election than it is for a member of our own armed services posted overseas?

If you don’t believe me, please listen to these two audio stories from National Public Radio’s program Morning Edition.

(Click on the red links to listen to the two short spots.)

NASA Helps Astronauts Cast Ballots from Space : NPR

Groups Aim To Ease Overseas Voting For Americans : NPR

Military and overseas voters are faced with an overly complicated voting process that has seven major and up to 13 sub-steps, from deciding to participate in the electoral process to actually casting a vote, and it is dependent on the individual absentee ballot laws governing the state that the soldier originally resided in.

Some states like California have already sent their ballots out to their citizen soldiers. Some allow for electronic voting, or voting via fax. Some states have yet to even print their absentee ballots, and then they get mailed through the USPS to the Military Postal System Agency. After that they are shipped through military logistics channels, competing often with supplies for space on cargo transports.

Operational, hostile and remote locations can delay mail delivery further, there are a couple of wars going on after all. The military standard for delivering mail to and from military personnel in combat zones is 12 to 18 days. Department of Defense officials claim that mail is transiting smoothly, even to remote operational sites in Iraq and Afghanistan, citing 11-13 day transit times.

The time of mail delivery is critical, especially for blank and voted ballots, because on average, states don‘t send absentee ballots until 35-40 days before the election. For some states, like Rhode Island and Massachusetts, ballots are sent 21 days prior to the election. With the military postal standard mail delivery time being 24-36 days round-trip, there is little, if any room for delay or error.

According to the Pew Center on the State’s, military and civilian overseas voting project, Service members want to vote, but are forced to navigate a laborious, complex and failure-prone system in order to exercise that right. Surveys show that military personnel have great interest in election results and voting.

For example: 77% of the military said they were very interested in the 2004 general election, a 12 percentage point increase over 2000. Of those military personnel that said they did not vote in 2004, 30% did not because their ballots never arrived or arrived too late to their duty stations and 28% did not know how to get an absentee ballot, found the process too complicated, or were unable to register.

http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/uploadedFiles/Military_Overseas_Voting_Project.pdf

According to the Pew Center, “the Voting Assistance Guide that the Department of Defense‘s Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) produces yearly is a 460-page instruction manual that details the state-by-state procedures for completing and sending in the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA, the combined voter registration and absentee ballot form the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voter Act (UOCAVA) of 1986 directs military and overseas voters to use) and Federal Write-in Absentee Ballots (FWAB—a military/overseas version of a provisional ballot to be used if the requested absentee ballot does not arrive in time). When a service member or overseas citizen gets a copy of the FPCA, he or she must reference his or her state‘s five to ten pages of specific instructions to determine which FPCA blocks to fill out.”

Did your eyes glaze over reading the last paragraph? Mine did…I find it patently offensive, and absurd that young men or women who are risking life and limb to insure our right to vote as a citizen of this country, have to read their way through a 460 page manual and go through up to 20 different steps simply to be able to cast a vote for their own Commander in Chief.

It’s even more offensive to me that those same troops have been used to guarantee free and open democratic elections around the world, (including in Iraq and Afghanistan) yet thousands of military voters are prevented from voting due to confusing and conflicting voter laws, and an antiquated mail delivery system. This is especially frustrating, when with one click of a button, an astronaut orbiting the earth can cast their vote, as effortlessly as you or I, or even a soldier in the field, can send an email.

Something is definitely wrong, and something needs to change. There is less then two months until this historic election, and it is highly unlikely that a majority of the troops overseas will be able to cast a vote easily. Even the solutions set forth today, are still too complex, and still too reliant on the postal service.

The rest of the blog...

The Pew Center has identified several measures that would make it easy for a member of our military, or their overseas families, to cast a vote.

They include;

1) The adoption of a Uniform State Law on Military and Overseas Voting, similar to The Uniform Commercial Code which universally governs sales and other commercial transactions in all 50 states within the United States of America. This means that one single law, and means of handling absentee ballots, would cover all US citizens. The law should be modeled on a state that already successfully deals with its overseas (or orbital) residents in a timely and streamlined fashion.

2) The creation of an Online Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot Tool. Although the handling of state and local elections would be cumbersome, it is pretty obvious to me that those who swear an oath on the constitution, and therefore could be considered federal employees, should be able to easily vote for federal (presidential) elections.

3) The employment of tested technologies to simplify the military and overseas citizen voting process by enabling voters to vote electronically, online on a secure central server, via email, or simply by the faxing of a downloadable printed ballot, to a centralized, secured election place for counting.

These three simple measures would insure that anyone in the military serving on a foreign shore would get to vote for the President who they serve, with ease.

Here are the names of the members of the Senate Committee on Armed Services, and a link to their contact form. It is my hope that you will contact a member of the committee and let them know that you are concerned that those who serve our country often do not get to have their vote counted.

Democrats
Carl Levin (Michigan)
Carl Levin — U.S. Senator from Michigan

Edward M. Kennedy (Massachusetts)Contact Senator Kennedy

Robert C. Byrd (West Virginia)
Senator Byrd - Contact Email

Joseph I. Lieberman (Connecticut)
Joe Lieberman, Senator from Connecticut

Jack Reed (Rhode Island)
Share Your Thoughts - Senator Jack Reed

Daniel K. Akaka (Hawaii)
Daniel Kahikina Akaka, U.S. Senator of Hawaii: Contact Me

Bill Nelson (Florida)
Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida: Email Form

E. Benjamin Nelson (Nebraska)
Ben Nelson, U.S. Senator from Nebraska: Email Center

Evan Bayh (Indiana)
Senator Evan Bayh — Senator for Indiana: Contact - Email Senator Bayh

Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: Email Senator Clinton

Mark L. Pryor (Arkansas)
Contact Senator Mark Pryor

Jim Webb (Virginia)
Senator Jim Webb : Virginia

Claire McCaskill (Missouri)
Senator Claire McCaskill : Missouri

REPUBLICANS
John McCain (Arizona) http://mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

John W. Warner (Virginia).: United States Senator John Warner, Virginia :: Contact :.

James M. Inhofe (Oklahoma) .: United States Senator James Inhofe :: Contact :.

Jeff Sessions (Alabama) http://sessions.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ConstituentServices.ContactMe

Susan M. Collins (Maine).: United States Senator Susan M. Collins :: Contact Senator Collins :.

Saxby Chambliss (Georgia).: United States Senator Saxby Chambliss :: Contact Us :.

Lindsey O. Graham (South Carolina).: United States Senator Lindsey Graham, South Carolina :: Contact :.

Elizabeth Dole (North Carolina) Elizabeth Dole - U.S. Senator for North Carolina

John Cornyn (Texas) .: United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas :: Contact :.

John Thune (South Dakota)United States Senator - John Thune

Mel Martinez (Florida) .: United States Senator Mel Martinez :: Contact Information :.

Roger F. Wicker (Mississippi) http://wicker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.EMailSenatorWicker Sample Note.

And the sample note...

I am writing to you in your capacity as a member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services, to make you aware of the great difficulty that members of our own armed forces stationed overseas will have in casting their vote in the upcoming presidential election.

On Election Day it will be easier for any astronaut serving aboard the International Space Station, than a soldier stationed in Iraq, Afghanistan, or on any foreign soil where they are posted. This is due to an overly complicated voting process that involves seven major and up to 13 sub-steps, from deciding to participate in the electoral process to actually casting a vote, and it is dependent on the individual absentee ballot laws governing the state that the soldier originally resided in. These same soldiers who helped ensure free and open elections in Iraq and Afghanistan will not themselves have them.

The Pew Center on the States has offered several steps that would greatly streamline the process, and insure that any military person overseas would be able to vote easily, and have their vote counted.

The include;
1) The adoption of a Uniform State Law on Military and Overseas Voting, similar to The Uniform Commercial Code which universally governs sales and other commercial transactions in all 50 states within the United States of America. This means that one single law, and means of handling absentee ballots, would cover all US citizens. The law should be modeled on a state that already successfully deals with its overseas (or orbital) residents in a timely and streamlined fashion.

2) The creation of an Online Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot Tool. Although the handling of state and local elections would be cumbersome, it is pretty obvious to me that those who swear an oath on the constitution, and therefore could be considered federal employees, should be able to easily vote for federal (presidential) elections.

3) The employment of tested technologies to simplify the military and overseas citizen voting process by enabling voters to vote electronically, online on a secure central server, via email, or simply by the faxing of a downloadable printed ballot, to a centralized, secured election place for counting.

These three simple measures would insure that anyone in the military serving on a foreign shore would get a voice in choosing who they serve, with ease. I am urging you to make sure these are implemented in time for the upcoming historic election ,to convene an immediate hearing on this matter if necessary.

Here is some more information;
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/uploadedFiles/Military_Overseas_Voting_Project.pdf

And two stories from National Public Radio, one showing the ease to which the current astronauts will be able to vote…and the shameful difficulty that those risking life and limb for our right to vote will have.

NASA Helps Astronauts Cast Ballots from Space : NPR

Groups Aim To Ease Overseas Voting For Americans : NPR

Again I urge you to take any immediate action of this matter, after all, they’re defending our right to vote…Let’s insure theirs.

Thank You for Your Time and Action.

I even made this logo...

support_our_troops.jpg

I apologize to my active duty brethren for the sorry state of affairs...I'll do what I can.

That does truly suck. When I was active duty I was a-political because somehow I was always stuck in a jungle or other nasty places. It seems that once you fall under the UCMJ you no longer have any rights and the first to go is your right to political rights.
It is a very sad situation.

Great job Revvy!

This happened to me in 1992. I was in the Marines stationed in Tustin, CA (base closed now). I put my application in for an absentee ballot. It never came and I never got to vote. I don't know if my state was at fault or otherwise, but all I know is the thought of having Bill Clinton as my commander-in-chief didn't sit well with me and I thought, if I only could have voted! Then Somalia happened.:(

I just truly never realized the situation. I mean geez, if we can get email and forum posts from guys in Iraq and Afghanistan, you'd think MAYBE the gov'ment could manage a secure server to allow the troops to cast a vote.

Maybe the real issue is, that if troops in warzones had an easier time voting for Commander in Chief, then maybe...You fill in the rest.

Back