Raising temperature at the end of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So, in trying to make my american hybrid taste nice and clean for my father in law, who is a die hard BMC drinker I did a test after listening to one of the Jamil shows and 3/4 of the way through fermentation I moved the carboy upstairs into the closet (close to 70 degrees) from the basement (about 65 degrees) and I just sampled it yesterday and man, what a clean tasting beer! Tastes a hell of a lot like a petes strawberry blonde crossed with a lager.

Anyone else done this on a consitent basis? Im tempted to try it with some other beers as well.

I do it pretty much all the time. I ferment in a thermostat controlled freezer and when the fermentation seems to have slowed up I take it out and just let it sit in the 70 degree room. I've been getting very clean ales.

Yes, I do this as well. I let the bulk of my fermentation take place between 60-67 degrees typically. Once I sense fermentation nearing completion I will move it into my "conditioning room" for another week or two.

Then maybe 2-3 days before bottling I move it a cooler place to encourage floculation before bottling......

You will also find that you may get a little more consistent attenuation by letting them finish warm.

Yep, I ramp them up to 70 or so about 3 to 4 days after the start of fermentation. I believe this keeps the yeast active a bit longer and they are better able to clean up some of the undesirable flavors that can be a product of fermentation.

Did this with my last 2 brews and my 9.5% RIS tasted CLEAN only 8 days after pitching. Pitched at 65F and brought it up a degree a day until 68F, then to 70F after the krausen had dropped.

All great posts folks - thanks!

But... I am more looking for AFTER active fermentation has stopped... is the temp range different? Do I still use the yeasts temp range? Higher end or lower end? No differnce?

Thanks!

JASON

Just did my first controlled ale ramp this past brew and so far it's worked great. When the krausen started falling I started ramping the beer 2'F a day until I reached 68'F. My starting temp was 63'F as I wanted a VERY clean APA. General consensus on this technique is that is produces great ales ;).

It's pretty much standard practice if you want the yeast to attenuate fully. I do it all the time. It also acts as a d-rest, resulting in a cleaner-tasting beer.

I always start my ales cool in the lower 60's and gradually raise the temp during fermentation. Starting cool reduces off flavors. Ending warm give better attenuation.

I use a fridge/heater with a dual output digital temp controller. With this setup, I have very precise control over my fermentation temps. I can dial in any temp I want and be within 1 degree of that temp.

Back