trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanabeer

Reaction score
I am noticing a lot of different opinions out there on the subject of trub. Some people apparently try to transfer as little as possible to the fermenter, while others leave it all in. I am wondering how either method affects the beer, specifically the taste. I'm all about the taste, man! Any preferences or explanations would be greatly appreciated

if you are going to rack to secondary then worrying about not getting it into the primary is a waste of your time....relax and have a homebrew!!!

He who drinks beer sleeps well. he who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen.

Having too much trub racked from your kettle (especially hot break) will affect the taste of your brew. How much will depend on your taste threshold. Trub contains lipids which can benefit the fermentation early on but cause soapy tastes if left too long in the primary. they can also promote premature staling of the beer after it is finished.

boo boo said:
Having too much trub racked from your kettle (especially hot break) will affect the taste of your brew. How much will depend on your taste threshold. Trub contains lipids which can benefit the fermentation early on but cause soapy tastes if left too long in the primary. they can also promote premature staling of the beer after it is finished.
Can this be avoided If the beer is racked to a secondary after about a week?

I add the whole darn thang to my primary, hops, hot break and all to my primary. But then I get it off into the secondary as soon as possible. I usually "dry hop" (sorta) by adding hops at the end of the boil and turning off heat immediately with no boil. So I have to add the whole thing into my fermentor or lose those nice hop aromatics I'm trying to get. I think the key is not letting it set too many days on the trub. Either way still makes good beer. But the quicker I get it off there I think the cleaner the beer I get.

Latest posts

Back