I forgot the flaked corn - am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing an all grain Nut Brown Ale and I thought I had all the grain bill covered. I am a dope and forgot to pick up flaked corn (.90lb).

Here is what I did:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.70 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.67 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.5 SRM) Grain 10.64 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.64 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.66 %
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
0.05 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.48 %
0.40 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.58 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) [Starter 25 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.76 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 21.7 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 19.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.40 lb
Sparge Water: 4.24 gal Grain Temperature: 68.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.53 qt of water at 165.7 F 154.0 F

Also.... is the Safale - 05 okay to use?

Another 15 minutes left in the 60 minute mash.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Salute! :mug:

Yes it will now taste like a bag of asses.

No it will be fine. Why's it in there anyway? I didn't think those used corn.

Well with the grain bill presented above, my O.G. into the boiler was 1.046. This is an adjusted reading for temperature. If my O.G. after the boil comes out well, I am hoping for an efficiency somewhere around 75%.

Given the absence of flaked corn and the substitution of Victory Malt, what do you suppose my final product will come close to?

I know it is a maxshift recipe, but it was the best I could do given my screwup.

Given the absence of flaked corn and the substitution of Victory Malt, what do you suppose my final product will come close to?

In australia we rarely (if ever) use corn - if we want an alcohol boost that lightens flavour we would use cane sugar. Assume same here since this is a newcastle brown recipe. It should be fine. Doubt the corn in quantity the recipe asks for will make little difference to the final result.

I suspect it will be better with the Victory.

Better with the Victory instead of the Flaked Corn?

Well I finished up around 6:00pm last night. According to BeerSmith and the numbers I arrived at, I had an efficiency of around 90%. So something is wrong here..... my O.G. into the boiler was 1.046 and out of the boiler was 1.06. Could I have increased the S.G. by that much during the 60 minute boil time?

I never thought I could get such high efficiency on only my second attempt at AG, but I double checked all my readings and the numbers I placed into BeerSmith.

The primary is bubbling nicely in the cellar which is maintained at 65 degrees. I did not add any Irish moss to the boil (another screw up).

I am going to try using gelatin for the first time. When and how much should I add?

Back