SWMBO loves Pacman - cheap console options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
SWMBO is a Pacman addict form way back.

Right now I set her up with a stand-alone Flash game on her lappy.

What would be a good basic console (last year's model... frugal, here!) that would work well?

(the game module seems avail. for most consoles)

What else said console would excel at..? (can't you tell I am not a gamer..?!!?)

I know PS2 had a PacMan game pack. Like 3 or 4 different PacMan games on one disc.

Trouble is, locating specific games for the old consoles without having to dig to the bottom of a clearance bin. I am sure several of the GameStops may have systems and games tho'.

Outside of that, these consoles typically do extra duty as a DVD player and a Music Jukebox (depending on HD options).

Various companies make "plug and play" versions of the oldschool consoles...They run anywhere from 20 bucks to 120 bucks....I've seen various version at every big box store, iirc even radio shack has them..

like this, fyi;

Amazon.com: Jakks Pac-Man Gold TV Game: Toys & Games

51wtWRZz0xL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Or this...
41pPNka5JbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There's even an oldschool atari where all the electronics and games are stored in side the joystick..

51ZVNA1Q3GL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Can you believe that in the old days you need the WHOLE console, now everything needed fits into one joystick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Various companies make "plug and play" versions of the oldschool consoles...They run anywhere from 20 bucks to 120 bucks....I've seen various version at every big box store, iirc even radio shack has them..

like this, fyi;

Amazon.com: Jakks Pac-Man Gold TV Game: Toys & Games

51wtWRZz0xL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Or this...
41pPNka5JbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There's even an oldschool atari where all the electronics and games are stored in side the joystick..

51ZVNA1Q3GL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Can you believe that in the old days you need the WHOLE console, now everything needed fits into one joystick.

Would you believe that I STILL have my old Atari console and games? I also still have my CalicoVision, and my original Pong D-Lux console. And they ALL still work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I've been looking MAME over for a while, given that SWMBO and I are both children of the 80's. Do you have a writeup of your build? Tips? What would you do differently, if you were doing it again?

I was thinking he should start an off topic DIY thread on this in the DIY forum...I betcha a lot of people would like to know how to do this...

I would...I looked at the links provided and didn't realize people were doing this...Cool!

I know a few guys that built dedicated MAME cabinets and while I think it's very cool, you get tired of standing there playing if you've ever gotten used to sitting on your couch with your feet up.

back when i had a hacked/modded xbox, i had mame running on it, and had a gamboy, nintendo, snes, genisis, ps1 emulators on it too. it was bad ass. could play like over 5,000 old school nes and arcade games on the xbox with no disks.

Back